View post (stuck in a rut)

View thread

Slug64
Slug64
01/10/2014 8:41 pm
Greg, we all go through what you're experiencing right now. It is a natural 'frustration' with the learning journey.

When first we decide to learn to play we go through a very steep learning curve which means that every time you pick up the guitar you are learning & capturing a new concept or technique. I guess that's what is the beginner stage.

Once we move to the Intermediate stage the progress is not as dramatic or as quick. For me the key (excuse the pun) is to learn something new every week. Whether that be a lick, riff or new chord shape or maybe a song.

I class myself as an upper Intermediate player. Its probably where my playing will always be as I don't have the hands or natural skill to take me to the dizzy heights of advanced playing. That does not mean that improvement stops though.
My practice regime is goaled at being very good at what I can do & always push to include new things into the kit bag of what I can play.

Remember learning & then playing guitar is not a race to the finish line. There is no finish line, this is a journey that goes on for the rest of your life so enjoy every minute of the time you have your guitar in your hands.

Also get into studying music theory. Not just the basic must know theory but try digging deeper into theory. 95% of the theory you learn you'll never use unless you become a pro musician but if learning guitar is your hobby & passion then theory adds another dimention to the whole experience.

Good luck. Pick the guitar up EVERY day, even if its for just a few minutes.

"If you build it, they will come"