To finger roll or not to finger roll? (not sure where to ask?)

BBMAC
BBMAC
01/08/2014 4:54 pm
On Neal Walter's lick 181 & 180 (Thanks Neal...cool), there are consecutive notes played on adjacent strings on the same fret; 12 and 14. The tempting way to play these notes is to cover both strings with either the pointer or ring finger respectively and roll the finger tip to fret the 2nd note. But Neal uses the index finger on the second note on the 14th fret, and moves, doesn't roll, the pointer finger on the 12th fret either. I suspect this is to stop the ringing of the first note, or prevent buzz, or other noise...I heard that Eddie Van Halen said "it's the notes (sounds?) you don't make that is the hardest thing"...that sure is true of my electric playing (turn up the fuzz...not a proper solution for blues).
I know finger rolling is sometimes used, but what's the low-down on this...whatever works...must be more to it...I have noticed Clapton likes that index finger...why?...when it's on the wrong position (1 up) from where standard position is. Need more practice (smarter not harder though), it's hard to get the ring finger out of there without creating noise.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.