View post (My Guitar Teacher and FRUSTRATION! What would you do?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
12/13/2013 8:21 pm
SebastBerg is right - you get the level of song instruction that you are looking for here. It's why I perfer to learn songs from instructional videos here rather than from TAB books. They cover the nuances and techniques to play the song. They also explain the theory behind what is being played and why it works.

Since your private instructor taught you Little Wing, go through that tutorial here (Anders teaches it) and you can do a direct comparison to make your judegment.

It sounds like you are torn - the guy is frankly being a bit of a jerk to you by squashing your creative side yet you are worried about hurting his feelings. Don't worry - I doubt he'll lost any sleep over it. It is certainly an uncomfortable situation - I've done it. You feel like you are breaking up with somebody. The sooner you break it off, the better.

My daughter stopped taking piano lessons after over 3 years with the same instructor. It was just time for her to stop and we found his teaching style just wasn't working for her any more. Yes it was uncomfortable, but we did it and moved on. We, including, my daughter have no regrets - it was the right thing for us to do.