View post (My Guitar Teacher and FRUSTRATION! What would you do?)

View thread

TonyNun
TonyNun
12/13/2013 7:18 pm
Thank you so much maggior and Slippin Lizzard (what a neat name!) for your very helpful encouragement.

I am so sensitive to others feelings (hard to believe being a man) that I feel like my teacher's feelings will be hurt. I'm sure he will feel like he failed in some way. But if I am going to go the direction I want to go, I gotta cut the strings to my teacher.

I don't know of any book that teaches what my teacher does. For instance, in learning Little Wing he first had me learn the chord progressions to the song and then showed me how Hendrix did all his stuff within those chord frames. If you know a book that teaches that, I'm all ears.

What I like doing is re-inventing songs my teacher teaches me like Hey Joe into more of a grungy/metal kind of song, go into practice and play it for my teacher MY WAY (after I learned it Hendrix's way). He just frowns and says "It's best to just play it the way the artist played it." He always seems to squash my artistic side. I'm sure Hendrix would not play it today the way he did in the 60's if he was still alive. It just seems he has no appreciation for what I want to do. Whenever I come in with a song I make up he just cranks up his guitar and plays what I made up with all these extravagant fills. It's almost like he's saying "You'll never be as good as me." He never says about the songs I make up: Hey, that's really nice.

Anyway, geesh, I feel like I'm an Eeyore. I hate cutting ties. But I gotta do what I gotta do. Man, I'm really down about this. But who knows, maybe this will be the best thing for me? Pray for me.