View post (My Guitar Teacher and FRUSTRATION! What would you do?)

View thread

maggior
maggior
12/13/2013 6:43 pm
Hi TonyNun -

I'd worry about a teacher that is dictating to you which direction you are going in. As an adult student, you should have a big say in that. If your desire is to learn the entire song and he won't do that for you, certainly look elsewhere.

I agree with Slipin - take a break. I took private lessons for a little over a year and it eventually got to a point where I wasn't really getting much out of it. This was partly because of my instructor and partly because of my lack of motivation at the time.

If your desire is to take these skills you now have and learn some new songs and techniques, GuitarTricks is a great place. Little Wing is also in the song library here and is taught by one of my favorite instructors here - Anders. The song instructions do a FULL breakdown of the song - you'll learn rythm parts, lead parts, fill parts...everything! That's true for any song in the song library, not just Little Wing. I see you have full access, so you probably know this already.

What I like about these lessons is I don't have to feel self concious that I'm not getting it and need to repeat a section 10, 15, 20 times. I would get frustrated in my private lessons and ask to move on because I felt I had to work it out on my own and I was just digging myself into a hole.

Take that as far as you like and if you feel the need for private instruction again at some point, then find another teacher.

As far as what is required to be a "professional" guitarist, I don't see why you couldn't do it without private instruction. It would require discipline, but so do private lessons...

Let us know how things work out for you...