View post (My Guitar Teacher and FRUSTRATION! What would you do?)

View thread

TonyNun
TonyNun
12/13/2013 2:38 pm
Hello,
Don't know if I ever posted here before but here goes.

I love the instruction here at Guitartricks. I also take lessons at a music store.

I've been taking lessons from the same teacher for 2 years now.
When I started I asked if he could teach me Little Wing. He said absolutely not. He said I'm just not capable. Well of course he was right. But about 3 months ago he surprised me and said I was ready to do Little Wing. I was stoked. He can do it with his eyes closed probably, behind his back and with his feet, all at the same time, if he wanted to. O.K. a little exaggerated but you know the type.
So I get it down pretty good up to the Lyric part and he, out of nowhere, says we are changing direction. W T Fart!? I wanted him to teach me the WHOLE song. I was doing it just like Jimi. He says I don't need to learn it all. Just learn the chords to the song. Well, I know my chords.

So I spoke with the owner (who is absolutely humble and awesome at guitar) and said, Look, we are all men here. I said I don't want to hurt my teacher's feelings, he is awesome and all but . . . I want to know if you can be my teacher. He is booked solid because EVERYONE wants him. My friend, who used to take lessons from him, told me if I can get him that my playing would skyrocket. He said he will try to work me in when the new year comes.

O.K. sorry for the rant, but what would you guys/gals do? Should I just throw in the towel if the owner can't take me and just learn online? I think I am entering the stage of my music career where I just want to cry. Oh I love playing but the getting bounced around with lessons frustrates me.

Is it possible to get really professional at playing without one-on-one instruction?

Any help would be appreciated.

TK