What is this called?

caponi14
caponi14
11/21/2013 12:38 am
Hey guys. I want to know what these little 2 note structures are called. I hear them in alot of blues and rock solos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le4PeKpZKCk

from 0:12 to 0:19.........Then again from 4:00 to 4:05

How do i practice and see them on the fretboard. How do you find the key they can be played in when i hear a peice of music i want to play them over? They have always confused me. What ARE they?

Please help, they frustrate..
# 1
Chris Radke
Chris Radke
11/22/2013 6:31 pm
I haven't the foggiest of an idea of what they're called, but what you could do is try and figure out what frets he's playing on etc. If it doesn't sound right, he's probably in a different tuning. If that works, figure out the names of chords he's playing. Do that, then you can figure out a key based on the progression. See what "position" (eg. Tonic, Dominant, Sub Dominant etc.) each chord is in that key, then apply those to other keys. In other words, figure out why they sound the way they do in the key, then you can apply the rule to other keys.

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it did a little - Chris
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2013 8:36 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Hey guys. I want to know what these little 2 note structures are called. I hear them in alot of blues and rock solos?

Those are called diads or double stops. Those double stops he is playing in that vid are specifically two notes played simultaneously an interval of 6th apart; one note on the G string, another on the E string.

Anders covers those in the Blues course & you can find lots of other GT lessons on that technique if you search for double stops. Hope that helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Chris Radke
Chris Radke
11/22/2013 9:31 pm
Guess you learn something new every day. I didn't know double stops were specifically a 6th apart.
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/23/2013 1:16 am
Originally Posted by: Chris RadkeGuess you learn something new every day. I didn't know double stops were specifically a 6th apart.

He didn't. Christopher simply said that the double-stops Slash played in the video were a 6th apart.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/23/2013 2:57 am
Sorry for any possible confusion! A double stop is any two notes (hence "double") played simultaneously. The two notes of a double stop can be any given interval apart.

In the video, it is specifically an interval of a 6th between the two notes of the double stops being played. This is a very common blues-rock technique. Sometimes it is accomplished by hybrid picking because you have to avoid the B string. Other times, players simply mute the B string while striking all 3 top strings.

Hope that helps for clarity! :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Chris Radke
Chris Radke
11/23/2013 6:47 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelSorry for any possible confusion! A double stop is any two notes (hence "double") played simultaneously. The two notes of a double stop can be any given interval apart.

In the video, it is specifically an interval of a 6th between the two notes of the double stops being played. This is a very common blues-rock technique. Sometimes it is accomplished by hybrid picking because you have to avoid the B string. Other times, players simply mute the B string while striking all 3 top strings.

Hope that helps for clarity! :)

Oh haha, okay! Hey, no problems I guess I never looked too into exactly what the Slash was doing, I was probably thinking too hard. I knew about the term double stops, but using 6ths specifically for a particular sound is something I did learn, so either way, more knowledge! yay!
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
11/23/2013 9:55 am
Okay :) so those notes are basically to notes played together using a major 6'th interval? Is that correctly understood?

So in this minor blues? Don't i have to use the minor 6'th interval?

I just have a hard time visualizing them on the fretboard. I can play them all the way up and down the major scale (mainly i do it on the G and high E string)

Im pretty sure he plays them in minor in the video since it's a minor blues (he tuned in Eb and playing in the key of G minor).
But what scale do i then use if i want to go up and down the scale like i can do in major (where do i place the pattern)? cause a major 6'th interval will never sound minor if im right? Do you then just pick out the notes that are in the minor scale?

Please. It confuses me :(
# 8
Chris Radke
Chris Radke
11/23/2013 5:45 pm
I don't know exactly where on the neck he's placed the scale pattern, but we now know that the notes in the chord are a 6th apart and in G minor. So the easiest way would be to place the G minor pattern lower on the neck (or anywhere really) and you have 7 tries to find it. Start with G and Eb, then try A and F, then Bb and G, C and A and so on. Then, like I said, you have 7 tries to find the right one he starts on! Using the process of elimination, on the 8 degrees in a scale. Of course, you wont find it unless you are in the same position as he is, and shift to the same position he did, but I think you may be able to find something that sounds good in doing this all the same.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.