Record all in one go or record every riff and lick separately?

Kasperow
Kasperow
11/15/2013 6:20 am
Hey
Quick recording-question here: I'm about to start recording a song for the first time, and I'm not sure what would be the best approach, so I'd like some insight into how others do it.

Do you record the whole song in one go? Or do you record each part (verse, chorus, solo) separately and mix it once all parts are recorded?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
11/15/2013 2:09 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowHey
Quick recording-question here: I'm about to start recording a song for the first time, and I'm not sure what would be the best approach, so I'd like some insight into how others do it.

Do you record the whole song in one go? Or do you record each part (verse, chorus, solo) separately and mix it once all parts are recorded?

I've only done recording with guitar parts, but what I've found works for me is to lay down a basic rythm guitar track first. From there, I'll add any solos or embellishments.

A handy trick to learn is punch ins. This allows you to fix sections of track without re recording the entire track. With a board, the recording engineer would punch a button (hence the name) at the appropriate time while the performer is replaying the part. In your multitrack software, you can do the same thing but specify a range that should punch in which will happen automatically. Adobe Audition calls this "armed record". You do this virtually infinite times and piece together the best parts from multiple takes. This is how David Gilmour did the solo for Comfortably Numb.

When doing this, you need to make sure you aren't changing any settings regarding your tone otherwise the punched in part won't fit in. So either do all of the takes in the same session or take detailed notes on your settings on your amp and guitar so you can recreate the sound later.

So I would say step one is to learn how to use your recording software to record multiple tracks and do punchins. The rest becomes "post production" which you can mess with once you have your tracks.
# 2
Chris Radke
Chris Radke
11/22/2013 6:54 pm
Kasperow,
I've been recording with my bad for our first time for a few months now and I've learned quite a bit.
I try and play as much of a song as I can, but if I screw up, I can start from a close by section. If you have a drum track, get that in first so you have a tempo, then you can worry about the guitar. If not drum, then definitely get a click track going at the proper tempo. From there, do your best to find a real nice sound, or as best as you can. Are you Recording acoustic or electric guitar? Regardless, just remember that if it's a bad recording, no about of post-production can fix it. A quote a heard once was: "You can't shine a turd." No matter how much work you do on it, it's still a turd.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/24/2013 11:15 am
For me, since I am the performer for all parts, all instruments, I have to 'build' a song. Most often, I am recording in sections and not a 'single pass' kinda deal but it depends on what the other instrumentation needs.

That said, I've tended to play the verse/bridge/chorus straight through. Not always but more often than not.

I guess I think in terms of orchestration than parts playing. I can hear what I want as the end result and I start playing what I think gets me to that sound.
# 4
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/25/2013 12:31 am
When recording with bands I've been in we've always had the best results recording the main rhythm on all instruments live then overdubbing with lead guitar parts and vocals, but I guess a lot of how you record can come down to the type of music you are recording and the sound you want to achieve.
# 5
Torsten Borg
Torsten Borg
11/26/2013 9:28 am
Hi!

What is the recording for?

Usually when i just record an idea i play everything on the first take with just a single guitar track.

When i record a demo i record various parts separately to get a better idea of what it's gonna sound like.

When i record an official recording that's gonna be released i do each part separately and double them and do all kinds of stuff that i can't explain here, it would take too long.

God bless you! :)
-T
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.