Left Hand Problems

sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
05/08/2002 11:12 pm
Hi there....my problem is my left hand. I've been playing classical guitar for almost 2 years now, but the thing is that I didn't care about the right position of my left hand and the right ways of pressing the strings. I think that the problem is that my palm is closer to the neck than it should normally be. How can I get rid of this? and what is the right position for the left hand? I didn't search the old threads, so forgive me if my question was answered wlsewhere....thanks.
Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankensteinā„¢)
# 1
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2002 2:13 am
Try this:

1. A common problem is that you tend to "lean" the
fingers on the neck so the the fingernails points towards
the body, if you know what I mean.

2. The fingers should'nt be completely straightened
towards the neck but almost.

3. It is important that the only two parts touching
the neck is the picking-fingers and the thumb.

4. Dont rest any other part, like the palm, on the neck!

5. Keep your fingers elevated, so that when your fingers approach the neck, it should be from above, not from
the side.

6. Always press the strings with your fingertips, and
I mean the very tip, not the whole upper part of the finger. If you follow no 5, it shouldnt be a problem.

Thats all I can think of for now.
Good luck!

# 2
James8831
James8831
05/09/2002 6:42 pm
I remember playing some classical when i was 12,or so, and mumsy always said to drop your shoulder and bring your thumb round to about the mid point of the neck - or further if you need to- use the thumb as a kind of pivot or "anchor" at the back for your fingers to get to where they need to on the fretboard....have a look in a classical book for the picture of the correct positions as they do say that position is v.important in classical guitar.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.