I Love A Rainy Night

jasonbench
jasonbench
11/12/2013 8:21 pm
Hello Mike,

I have been doing this tutorial, but my guitar only has 21 frets. I have worked out a couple different patterns to make up for this, but none of them sound right. Is there another way to play this on my guitar?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jason
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/13/2013 1:00 am
Jason,

Yeah man this is a drag! There are really only 2 options for you if all you've got is a 21 fret guitar.

The first one is to play the highest lick an octave lower. The problem with that is that the whole point of this particular lick is to ascend all the way up the neck. So I can see why this approach may not sound good.

Here's what I recommend: when you get to the C note at the 20th fret of the high E, go for all the higher notes using bends from that fret. For example, a full step bend on the 20th fret would give you the D note, and a step and a half bend would give you the high Eb note.

The only lick you would have to alter is the bending pull off lick. Forget about the quick pull off, and just bend up a step and a half to that Eb note in place of the pull off.

So to summarize: anytime you need to hit the 22nd fret, just bend a full step from the 20th. To simulate the bending pulloff lick at the 22nd fret, bend up a step and a half, then finish off the phrase with a full step bend, then back down to the C note. Make sense?

Hope this helps! Cheers!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
jasonbench
jasonbench
11/16/2013 5:56 am
Greetings Mike,

Thanks for the tip. I've had to play with it for a while, but I hear the correct sound coming from bending. It adds a cool sound too.

Thanks,
Jason
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2013 4:34 pm
Awesome man ... Glad you were able to make it work.

Cheers!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.