View post (The difference between teaching and leading one to discover)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
10/13/2013 7:01 pm
I play what they call "by ear" which doesn't mean anything really except that I probably have developed a lot of bad habits that just happen to work. I know the open forms by heart fluidly and barre forms. I'm to a point where if someone says play a C7 I know two ways to do it. But everything is down toward the open forms. I understand how to make them all minors, 7th, and major 7ths but would have to look up minor 7ths except a few that are so familiar on Beatle songs--or "add 9" or sus 2 or sus 4. I want to learn how to do some flourishes and embellishements and get the basics down of roots music. I'm past my rock age. I saw Pink Floyd in concert 22 times. The Kinks may 25. Kinks songs I go back to for fun because they are rarely anything more than majors, minors and a rare 7th. But ask me to know the next note in a turn-around like "Gallon of Gas" and I would be on thin ice. Do guitarists "think ahead" at what they do. Being told "what" does not answer "why". And to akid or grand-dad "why" is the key to caring and making sure you get it right. I know the fret board and musical system. I just don't know how to "see" where the things that make real musicians sound like real musicians fit by practicing blind scales. Should I be thinking whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half (intervals in major scale for instance)? Done that. It stinks and doesn't really add up to anything. What does one "think" and "why"? Perhaps my etude idea might help show that. I don't know. Thanks.