View post (The difference between teaching and leading one to discover)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/13/2013 3:07 pm
Hey & welcome to GT!
Originally Posted by: TerranautI even appeared to be a very capable bass player and played in a band for some years. But I simply don't know what goes on in a guitarist's mind. What should I be thinking?[/quote]
The same thing as a bass player. Just more of it. :p

Seriously, if you played bass on songs, then you were already using scales & outlining chord tones. At that point you might not have known why you were playing certain notes & patterns on the fretboard. But if what you played sounded right, then you were playing scales & chords.

Practicing scales & chords in a systematic manner has 2 purposes.

1. Gain dexterity on your instrument.
2. Train your ear & mind to be aware of the raw materials of music.
[QUOTE=Terranaut]
So, I was thinking, wouldn't it be useful to have a bunch of etudes or song segments and a visual cue to tell us to play a scale of a certain type in tempo at a certain spot.
Is there anything like that here already? I'm new to GT.

If you haven't already, then you should work through the Core Learning System. At the very least, you should work through Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2.

http://www.guitartricks.com/corelearningsystem.php

It sounds like what you are after is conceptual knowledge. GF2 is especially good for learning the basic concepts of music theory & just as importantly, how to apply those concepts.

If your knowledge & skill level is beyond all that, then I've got more advanced music theory & application tutorials. Just let me know what your skill level is & what your goals are.

But, please start at GF1 & 2. It is worth it for the knowledge &, or review! Have fun. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory