View post (The difference between teaching and leading one to discover)

View thread

Terranaut
Terranaut
10/13/2013 6:52 am
I'm 58. I've been hearing teachers and reading in books and seeing video telling me "scales" are important and to practice them. That gives me no clue as to how they should become important to me. And I've stopped and started playing guitar and bass many times since the Beatles came out when I was 8. I even appeared to be a very capable bass player and played in a band for some years. But I simply don't know what goes on in a guitarist's mind. What should I be thinking? Apparently there's a major difference between telling someone something and leading them to "discover" its importance. So, I was thinking, wouldn't it be useful to have a bunch of etudes or song segments and a visual cue to tell us to play a scale of a certain type in tempo at a certain spot. And that way we'd have contexts for "discovering" scales and how to innovate with them as opposed to being told just what it is. I'm not an automaton. I need to be led. And a computer can lead. Is there anything like that here already? I'm new to GT. Thanks.