"Stolen From" or "Inspired by"

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
09/30/2013 2:58 pm
I have a question that can only elicit back a purely subjective response. But, I'm very curious on your opinions on the grey line between what I struggle with.

As songwriters, we hear chord progressions, scale licks, chord melodies etc in other songs. I often find myself inspired by those and write something that is similar, but with no intention of "stealing" those things.

But, I struggle with that grey line of when is something inspired by or stolen from?

I'm curious if anyone else has struggled with this and how you personally think about this? Specifically, when do you feel that you have crossed over from being inspired by a sound versus actually replicating that sound too much and not being original.
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
09/30/2013 8:17 pm
Check out this video for a good laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnuGkZgaMc
# 2
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
10/01/2013 12:26 pm
Just think .....how 1 chord progression in 1 song can net them a fortune...

You're right, though, Slipin. It is uncannily funny.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/01/2013 11:18 pm
I try not to write things that are inspired by another song. More to the point, I don't write a song because I wished I wrote the original and I would like something like the original...Make sense?

That's song that gives you that big buzz, don't try to do something like it...it won't turn out well. Just play riffs and melodies from your head and your practice noodling.

Thing is, that noodling will be more original than an 'inspired by' song. Sure, the riff/lick will be drawn back to another one from a famous artist (or even not so famous) but if it is from what you feel by playing, it is not stolen.
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/23/2013 11:08 pm
Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV) What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Or, as B.B. King put it, “I don’t think anybody steals anything; all of us borrow.” ;)

I'm a little late to the party, the older tunes below are new to me. Take a listen, all available on YouTube;

1946 Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five "Ain't That Just Like a Woman"
opening riff played by either guitar or horns, both versions on YouTube

1951 B.B. King "That Ain't the Way To Do It"

1958 Chuck Berry "Johnny B Goode"

1964 Beach Boys "Fun, Fun, Fun"

Learn one riff, play four very different songs...

Can anybody find an example earlier than '46? Later 'borrowings' after '64?
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
AndreLyles
AndreLyles
11/18/2013 4:21 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTEcclesiastes 1:9 (NIV) What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Or, as B.B. King put it, “I don’t think anybody steals anything; all of us borrow.” ;)

whoa....that was heavy...lol
# 6
Petrichor
Full Access
Petrichor
Full Access
11/18/2013 5:18 am
On some of the songs I've written, the song was so dang familiar to me, that I worried that I may have subconsciously stole it from somewhere. So I used to call everyone I knew to play it for them - probably drove my friends and family NUTS. I totally relate to this thread.....
# 7
jlh32873
jlh32873
12/12/2013 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: Pat OlsonOn some of the songs I've written, the song was so dang familiar to me, that I worried that I may have subconsciously stole it from somewhere. So I used to call everyone I knew to play it for them - probably drove my friends and family NUTS. I totally relate to this thread.....

I have done this on occassion to find out later that a line or two were from a song I had heard before!! lol
# 8
Danny McMartin
Danny McMartin
12/21/2013 5:58 pm
To write a song that is ‘totally’ original is a bit unrealistic these days. With hundreds of thousands of guitarists in this word writing millions of songs all sharing the same 12 notes, artists are bound to have some tracks sounding similar, or of a certain genre. The only people I’ve found that don’t truly understand this are those that have never written a song in their life! Let alone released an album.

It also raises the question of what defines “original” anyway? Is an Emo song with the same/similar chord progression and same scales used in a guitar solo really that “original” to a more traditional Rock track released a decade or two earlier?

With song writing you really have to write what you feel drawn to write. That way it will be the best song you could ever put out for the world to hear. And the more that is refined the more honest it will be and eventually how “original” it will sound.

Without sounding too poetic, in summary write from the heart. If it comes from that place where you are being true to yourself then it can’t possibly come from anywhere else in this world. And that is purely original.
# 9
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/14/2014 3:26 am
I think it's important to note that two different people from two different times can stumble onto the same lick or whatever independently of each other. Not everything that sounds similar was inspired by or stolen from someone earlier.
# 10
Jeremie Emond
Jeremie Emond
05/17/2014 3:05 am
The secret of Creativity
is being able to hide your
sources...

My pleasure
# 11
Greg Frus
Greg Frus
05/25/2014 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: Danny McMartinTo write a song that is ‘totally’ original is a bit unrealistic these days. With hundreds of thousands of guitarists in this word writing millions of songs all sharing the same 12 notes, artists are bound to have some tracks sounding similar, or of a certain genre. The only people I’ve found that don’t truly understand this are those that have never written a song in their life! Let alone released an album.

It also raises the question of what defines “original” anyway? Is an Emo song with the same/similar chord progression and same scales used in a guitar solo really that “original” to a more traditional Rock track released a decade or two earlier?

With song writing you really have to write what you feel drawn to write. That way it will be the best song you could ever put out for the world to hear. And the more that is refined the more honest it will be and eventually how “original” it will sound.

Without sounding too poetic, in summary write from the heart. If it comes from that place where you are being true to yourself then it can’t possibly come from anywhere else in this world. And that is purely original.

I agree with this completely. Well said.
# 12
nedped
nedped
05/28/2014 1:07 pm
It's a profound question that every songwriter has to answer for oneself. It can't be legislated by group discussion. The best answer for you will not be the same for me. Self-assurance has to walk the line between guilt and pride.
# 13
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/30/2014 3:05 am
Originally Posted by: Pat OlsonOn some of the songs I've written, the song was so dang familiar to me, that I worried that I may have subconsciously stole it from somewhere. So I used to call everyone I knew to play it for them - probably drove my friends and family NUTS. I totally relate to this thread.....

Decades ago while in college the opposite happened to me. A popular group had a hit which had several bars of melody that was the same as a song I had written a couple months before. When I first heard the other song on the radio I went to the guitar and played mine..."Well, I'll be..." I was self-amused and just a little smug. Of course, there was no question of plagiarism or 'stolen from'...it was a heck of a coincidence.

I kinda got a kick from it. ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 14
llindly67
llindly67
06/02/2014 1:55 pm
One of the most well know cases of this was when George Harrison was accused of ripping off the Chiffon's hit "He's so Fine" with his hit "My Sweet Lord". As I recall, George admitted he might have subconsciously used the tune and admitted he was familiar with the song. He spent years tied up in litigation over this case. I don't recall what the cost was but I know it did cost him plenty. Most unfortunate.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.