Fretboard trainer issues

jwsadler
jwsadler
09/15/2013 4:21 pm
Thanks for adding the Fretboard trainer - I think it's a great idea, but am a bit frustrated with the implementation. BTW, I usually use the site on a notebook computer rather than a tablet.

A minor issue is that the fretboard trainer does not appear in searches for "fretboard trainer"

A larger issue for me is the fretboard layout. As with the chord finder, I find the layout, with the nut on the left and the strings "upside down" to be very disorienting. It forces mental calculations where I might simply be able to "see" what string and fret we're on. I would expect a horizontal fretboard to model what a guitar player would see in the mirror: nut on the left, bass strings on top. The layout you've hosen looks like a lefty guitar played by a righty.

Can you please add a layout preference switch? I'd like to see the bass strings on top, at minimum. I think it would be more universal to go with a vertical fretboard with the nut on top, like a conventional chord diagram.

I've made a similar request in the past for the chord finder and hope that the designer will at least take notice for next time rather than perpetuating this layout into future pages.
# 1
jwsadler
jwsadler
09/15/2013 4:33 pm
PS - I am finding it easier to use this game upside down :)
# 2
jwsadler
jwsadler
09/29/2013 5:50 pm
When can I expect a response from someone at guitartricks?
# 3
jwsadler
jwsadler
09/30/2013 4:07 am
After playing several times (upside down on an iPad), the fretboard trainer stopped being "random" and only selected the notes D,G,A, and C. So if you were wondering how anyone managed to answer 20 questions correctly in well under one minute, there's a possible answer.
# 4
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/14/2013 7:18 pm
Hey John,
Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure I agree with the upside down layout idea, but it would be nice to be able to provide it.

We are working on some backend stuff, so I am not sure when we can get back to working on adding new features to the fretboard trainer. There have been lots of suggestions about it, so hopefully we can batch them all up for a v2.

Thanks for telling us about the D,G,A, C problem. I will put in a bug report about that. We'll try to get it fixed quick.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.