No More Finger Pain

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/25/2013 11:20 pm
…or not.

So there I was in the room that functions as an office/library/practice room when My Lady calls out, “Hey John (of MT ;) ), come see this. He’s playing guitar with gloves.” I of course hastened to the front of the big screen.
Lo and behold in front of me was the 1941 Gene Autry flick, “Sierra Sue”. And as Gene was riding down the trail singing his heart out there was Smiley Burnette riding beside him strumming his heart out on a non-descript guitar while wearing what only can be described as leather riding gloves. Rather heavy gloves from the looks of ‘em.

“Wow! This could put an end to all newbies’ search for callouses! No more finger pain!!" Then it hit me…this is all an example of Hollywood’s special effects in the 40’s. Nobody plays guitar with heavy leather gloves on. This is pure movie magic.

Then Smiley, still trotting along side Gene and strumming the guitar, started playing a harmonica. That was probably reel…er, real. You betcha’! :D

Smiley was a singer and wrote over 400 songs but I know...I just know...that when he worked them out on the guitar he wasn't wearing gloves...
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
08/30/2013 8:18 pm
It'd be funny to hear what it actually sounded like on set!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/30/2013 10:34 pm
Hadn't thought of it before...a new way of muting! :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.