Considering getting more pedals, but need advice!

Kasperow
Kasperow
08/18/2013 11:37 am
Hey everyone. I've decided that it's time for me to get my hands on some more pedals but I don't quite know anything about each of the different models. I know what kinds of effects I'm looking for, and I'm hoping I can get some advice on what models to try out for each type.

The effects I'm looking for are:
A Wah-Wah (I've seen the original Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah going for a fairly good price)
Some kind of Chorus, Flanger or Phaser
An Octaver

What brands and models would you recommend for each of those types?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
08/18/2013 11:53 am
i'm a big fan of the vox wah pedal but I have had my one modded to make it true bypass and give it more mid range tone, it's a solid pedal though and the mod was very reasonable in price to have done. If you're unsure of what pedals you want it could be worth you looking on ebay for a cheap multi effect pedal so you can try out a range of effects and decide which ones you really like and want before you spend the money on decent individual pedals.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/20/2013 11:40 pm
As opposed to fuzz, I prefer a Dunlop. Apples and oranges. Whereas fuzz had a true bypass mod (and I understand why), when I used a wah in ernest, I never turned it off because I liked the compression it gave me.

Just a thought.
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/21/2013 2:40 am
I'm kind of a Boss pedal freak. All my pedals, with the exception of my Ibanez Tube Screamer are Boss pedals. They are rock solid.

I even have a Boss GT100 pedal board.

Not sure why but I really like Boss products.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
08/23/2013 8:01 pm
I prefer analog to anything digital. The downfalls are that not all pedals play nice with each other. I would do some research on pedals and play them before buying... Unless you want to end up being a collector like me... i buy pedals on whims all the time and rarely do any of them end up staying in my pedal chain...

Right now these are the pedals that I have in my chain:

Vox v847a Wah > Electro Harmonix Russian Big Muff (fuzz) > MXR Custom BA Overdrive > Way Huge Aqua Puss (Analog Delay) > DigiTech RV-7 Reverb > Amp

Pretty basic, but I can get in teh vacinity of most tones with that set up... I rarely ever use the DigiTech reverb unless I am trying to get a really cavernous reverb sound... I play through a Vox AC-15 so I use the onboard reverb and tremolo on that...

There are tons of companies that make quality pedals these days... I wouldn't recommend anything under 100 dollars though... you're generally not getting the quality at the price point. However, I do have the MXR Custom Bad Ass Overdrive on my board and it's less than 100 dollars. It's a very versatile OD/Distortion pedal especially at that price.
# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/23/2013 11:50 pm
Anders' new rock course has a chapter on effects which might offer some helpful info/advice.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
haghj500
haghj500
08/24/2013 5:30 pm
If you buy a wah wah get a good one, a lot of his sound comes from what he is doing with it and where he leaves it set at when he steps away. You will not get what you looking for from cheap one. You don't have to buy the best either. Like everything else, try a few before you buy. Music stores expect it.

Back when I bought mine I bought a Morley, it put what Cry Babies did back then to shame. At least to my ears.
# 7
jeffo184
jeffo184
09/18/2013 6:06 pm
Since you're looking for a lot of different effects, it might make sense to try a multi-effect pedal. I use a digitech rp 500, which has everything you mentioned and a lot more for $299 at Guitar Center new.

There are also many other brand of multi-effect processors. If you're gonna play in a band...you really need one. It seems like every time my band adds a song, I have to go through my tone and effects library and play around to get the perfect tone...and I always can.
# 8
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/18/2013 7:19 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffo184Since you're looking for a lot of different effects, it might make sense to try a multi-effect pedal. I use a digitech rp 500, which has everything you mentioned and a lot more for $299 at Guitar Center new.

There are also many other brand of multi-effect processors. If you're gonna play in a band...you really need one. It seems like every time my band adds a song, I have to go through my tone and effects library and play around to get the perfect tone...and I always can.

I've heard great things about the Digitech multi-processor, so it's worth looking into.

When I created this thread, I had completely forgotten that my amp has a bunch of effects built-in that can be adjusted by using a computer or laptop, so I might want to try messing with those first before purchasing anything too expensive. For gigs, I'd just have to ask someone to act as sound-technician to make sure I have the tone I want for a given song. Or buy the needed effects pedals, of course.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 9
matonanjin
matonanjin
09/18/2013 9:53 pm
You did state that you know what types of effects or pedals you are looking for. You are just looking for recommendations of brands.

So this may be too basic for you. But you or someone else may find it interesting. I did.

Sweetwater has a new video on their site called "Guitar Tone: Tones of the Pros Featuring Mitch Gallagher". It's here: http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/guitar-tone-tones-of-pros-featuring-mitch-gallagher/

Mitch literally wrote the book on guitar tone: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GuitarTone/

Here's the description of the video:""Mitch deconstructs the guitar tones used by famous guitarists, and explains how you can achieve them too. In this video Mitch discusses the tone of Angus Young, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Johnson."

Fascinating watch but allow some time. It's almost an hour long.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 10

09/29/2013 10:36 pm
I Am In Need Of Pedals Or Multi Effect ,got My Eye On Ms G Zoom Stomp Box It Sell;s For $99,but I Just Bought An Blackstar Ht5rw,and An Too Tone Cry Baby Which Was Only $79 I Never Used An Wah Pedal Before,but I Did See Some Xpensive One;s Out There.i Really Hope 5 Watt;s Will Work For Me And If Not I Will Return It And Get What I Was Gonna Get In The First Place,bl Star Ht20 Sstudio.....anyone Have An 5 Watt Tube Amp.i Am Still Waitin For Mine From Musicians Friend.i Got An Awsome Deal On That Amp 30 Percent Off,thats An Heck Of Sweet Deal,and Got 10 Percent Off Wah Pedal.oh Btw How Are Those Tube Screamers Can Anyone Tell Me Alittle About Them.the Name Makes Me Want To Buy One.thanks To Any One Who Reponds And Thanks Anyway If U Dont,signin Out,ur Worst Speller And Grammer....the Axe
# 11

10/02/2013 12:20 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2I Am In Need Of Pedals Or Multi Effect ,got My Eye On Ms G Zoom Stomp Box It Sell;s For $99,but I Just Bought An Blackstar Ht5rw,and An Too Tone Cry Baby Which Was Only $79 I Never Used An Wah Pedal Before,but I Did See Some Xpensive One;s Out There.i Really Hope 5 Watt;s Will Work For Me And If Not I Will Return It And Get What I Was Gonna Get In The First Place,bl Star Ht20 Sstudio.....anyone Have An 5 Watt Tube Amp.i Am Still Waitin For Mine From Musicians Friend.i Got An Awsome Deal On That Amp 30 Percent Off,thats An Heck Of Sweet Deal,and Got 10 Percent Off Wah Pedal.oh Btw How Are Those Tube Screamers Can Anyone Tell Me Alittle About Them.the Name Makes Me Want To Buy One.thanks To Any One Who Reponds And Thanks Anyway If U Dont,signin Out,ur Worst Speller And Grammer....the Axe

WOW I CAINT BELIEVE WHAT 5 WATTS CAN DO.AWSOME POWER,THANK GOD I DIDNT GET THE 20,40,OR 60 WATT....
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/02/2013 2:03 pm
Well, I still haven't actually bought any of the pedals I'm looking for, but I'm going to the Copenhagen Guitar Show this weekend, which is, as far as I've understood, a huge scandinavian guitar-expo. My plans are to check out as many different pedals in my price-range, and if there are any I like, I'll most likely end up buying them.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13

10/02/2013 4:28 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowWell, I still haven't actually bought any of the pedals I'm looking for, but I'm going to the Copenhagen Guitar Show this weekend, which is, as far as I've understood, a huge scandinavian guitar-expo. My plans are to check out as many different pedals in my price-range, and if there are any I like, I'll most likely end up buying them.

well hey good luck with that,can u fill me in on what u had seen and heard.i been thinkin buying pedals are a dream there awsome,but i got to say i really like the zoom g5 multi effect and processor $299,google it and listen to demo,its alot cheaper in the long run,it has an looper dub looper,drum beats the list goes on.anyway peace.axe2
# 14
maggior
maggior
10/02/2013 6:01 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2i got to say i really like the zoom g5 multi effect and processor $299,google it and listen to demo,its alot cheaper in the long run,it has an looper dub looper,drum beats the list goes on.anyway peace.axe2

I bought a zoom g5 recently just for that reason - it's cheaper in the long run and you get more functionality. I wanted a few pedals (chorus, wah, delay, and flanger) which would have cost more than the $299 for the g5. The amp simulation and looper were bonuses that I'm really enjoying. A great deal in my book.

I'm just playing in the basement for fun - kasperow is trying to get established in a band, so I can understand wanting to keep it simple there and start with individual pedals.
# 15

10/02/2013 6:19 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI bought a zoom g5 recently just for that reason - it's cheaper in the long run and you get more functionality. I wanted a few pedals (chorus, wah, delay, and flanger) which would have cost more than the $299 for the g5. The amp simulation and looper were bonuses that I'm really enjoying. A great deal in my book.

I'm just playing in the basement for fun - kasperow is trying to get established in a band, so I can understand wanting to keep it simple there and start with individual pedals.

being you have one i need to ask is it complacating to use,and are running it through a tube amp.thanks bro.
# 16
maggior
maggior
10/02/2013 6:24 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2being you have one i need to ask is it complacating to use,and are running it through a tube amp.thanks bro.

It's a little complicated to use only because there are so many pedals and amps it can simulate. There is a PC app that you can use with the g5 connected via usb that improves upon that tremendously.

I'm running it through a tube amp.

Once you hone in on a set of effects or amps you want to use, you can set them up in patches that would make it easier to bring them up on demand.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I don't have any experience with "real" pedals, so I can't say how it compares to those.
# 17
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/07/2013 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI'm just playing in the basement for fun - kasperow is trying to get established in a band, so I can understand wanting to keep it simple there and start with individual pedals.

Well, right now, I'd rather say I'm trying to find some people to start a band with. I had fun playing with the other guys back in August, and it was a learning experience, but it wasn't the right band for me in the long run, so I've decided to try looking for some people to start my own band with.

I took a look at a lot of different gear (pedals, guitars, amps) at the guitar-expo I was at this weekend, as well as checking out a few of the clinics there, just to get some ideas. I ended up going home from the expo almost empty-handed, having only picked up a new set of strings for my acoustic and gotten my hands on a huge pile of product catalogs from at least 20 different companies and stores. I didn't end up buying any new gear, though. The pedals I could probably afford just didn't quite sound right compared to what I wanted, and ones I really loved the sound of were outside my budget for the rest of this year. But at least, I now know what I like the sound of and what I don't like.

On a completely unrelated note, I never thought a Telecaster could sound as awesome as one I tried out at the expo. I've always been a Humbucker kind of guy, but this expo did wonders for opening my eyes (or, well, ears) for other types of guitars.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 18

10/07/2013 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500If you buy a wah wah get a good one, a lot of his sound comes from what he is doing with it and where he leaves it set at when he steps away. You will not get what you looking for from cheap one. You don't have to buy the best either. Like everything else, try a few before you buy. Music stores expect it.

Back when I bought mine I bought a Morley, it put what Cry Babies did back then to shame. At least to my ears.

i do agree with dont buy a cheap wah pedal,why cause i bought a cheap one,for $71 cry baby i thought i was getting a good deal.well most inportant it has no bypass at all,so i will be sending it back for a vox,i hear alot of good from vox,or i may just use the wah pedal on my zoom g5.no need for two.but i would love to have a vox wah pedal....peace to all,axe2
# 19
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
10/08/2013 7:44 am
Originally Posted by: axe2i do agree with dont buy a cheap wah pedal,why cause i bought a cheap one,for $71 cry baby i thought i was getting a good deal.well most inportant it has no bypass at all,so i will be sending it back for a vox,i hear alot of good from vox,or i may just use the wah pedal on my zoom g5.no need for two.but i would love to have a vox wah pedal....peace to all,axe2

What model Vox wah pedal are you after? I have a V847a and that wasn't true bypass when I bought it but I had it changed to true bypass by a tech at a guitar shop near me, it was very cheap to have it converted and made a massive difference
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.