Hit the Road & Schmange(?) & first gig

Markus
Markus
06/01/2000 11:15 am
oh yes!
In a couple of moths our band is going to; record a demo-cd and then a little tour. tour or a few gigs, whatever...
It's really exciting!

Do you guys remember your first gig?
memories... Any good advices of Dont-do-that
and how-not-to-embarras-yourself...?
yes, and stage performance? just be yourself...?
It's truly a big thing for a young guitarist.

A big hail goes to Schmange(correctly spelled...?) who kicked my ass with that multifingertapping.(forum: technique)
It truly was a milestone in my guitarplaying career... hehe
Really I don't like deathmetal that much, guys just wanted me to play leadguitar in their band.
mainly I write music like Pink Floyd's 'Division Bell', that deathmetal thing is just for fun!

gear:
Jackson Randy Rhoads, Jim Dunlop crybaby,
Zoom 505 which sounds too plastic and digital... some vintage distortion-pedal would be THE thing for my needs.

keep doing the thing that you were doing...
err.. keep rocking!/keep it metal!/blues moods!/whatever..

And Shmange(?), be sure to check out some Angel Corpse mp3's... there's the multitap!!!

Markus

ps. (yhtään suomalaisia kepittäjiä rekisteröitynyt tänne? ainaskin se c.o.b. hemmo...? noloa!!!)

# 1
Buzz
Buzz
06/01/2000 6:29 pm
First gig tips:

Have a blast!

Anything beyond that just doesn't matter.
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/01/2000 7:40 pm
heh.. thanx :) yeah it's schmange...rhymes with strange.
First gig? Don't let anybody in the band get wasted before the show. (Our drummer fell backwards off his stool and passed out).
other than that...what can I say...take protection & some pennicilin for the groupies...don't act like a nerd and remember to take your guitar.

[This message has been edited by schmange (edited 06-01-2000).]
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
06/01/2000 8:19 pm
First gig - Yeah, I remember that, it was this monday...Messed up a little bit, but just keeped my cool and carried and screwin' around - Keep smiling and, hopefully, you'll have a forgiven audience....Good luck! - I'm sure you won't need it though
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
06/02/2000 3:33 am
Howdy-
If you look in the Musicians life section, you'll see my post about my first gig with a horrible band called Ubermensch. We got booted off the stage after 5 minutes. My only advice is to make sure you know what your doing, because we sure as hell didn't! My new band, Concave (We finally have a name, after about 6 changes over 4 months...) are doing our first show Saturday, the 3rd. I think that'll go well... I hope... I've learned how to play since then, so I think we'll kick some major ass. Just relax, don't think about it too much, and have fun.

6/4/00

We did the show, and all went great. We played with a 2 other bands who already had a following, and we were the only one's who were asked to do an encore and sign autographs. It was the greatest time I've ever had, I think. Damn good fun...

[This message has been edited by Uncle Istvan (edited 06-05-2000).]
# 5
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/04/2000 6:48 pm
I think my first gig was at my junior high but my first club gig was when I was 16 or so. I kicked my guitar chord out of the jack. Nobody seemed to notice, they just kept dancing. So I pretended nothing was wrong and just plugged it in after the song was over.

But after that I got a longer chord and made sure I always looped it through my strap so it is difficult to kick the chord out...

On the next gig, the drummer had to leave the stage to go to the bathroom. That was embarrassing. People notice that sort of thing.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
warchild
warchild
06/07/2000 6:05 am
Dude - I think the first gig's the one that just get's pasted in your mind, regardless of whether it's good or bad.

The first time we played in front of other people was at my mates 15th birthday when we were about the same age. We hired amps and a p.a. and thought we rocked the house. Looking back, we sucked and everyone was too wasted to care.

Our first pub gig was a couple of years later on a Friday night. The football game was on the big-screen so we were literally ignored.

Just hang in there - it all counts to experience and when you do play your dream show, it will be all the more worthwhile.
# 7
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
06/13/2000 7:20 pm
My first gig had a lot of problems with ground loops (although i didnt know what they were at the time). I sang and played lead guitar but kept getting shocked on the mouth by the mic. It was a mess. Then on the trip home, all our equipment got rained on in the back of the truck, literally soaking the amps inside and out. I poured water out of the effects pedals... also, the bassist didn't show up. Memories are so funny!
What's it like for all of you veterans (like myself, 30 bands and counting!) to look back at all of the stupid things that happened? My band now has a kickin light show and is so slick and professional it still amazes me. well, anyway. gotta run.

Atomic

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.