View post (I've said it befor but I know there have been a lot of new signups since.)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
07/16/2013 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlacker
If you're simply practicing scales, whip out that metro, you've created the basis for a great riff, whip out that metro, you're practicing arpeggios, whip out that metro. I will take back the 3 "always" statements and relent to just 1.5 "always statements. ;)

Yep, you got it. That's what I meant. So if you're new & reading this, what we're saying is its ok to "practice" without the metronome when you're just trying to figure out where to put your fingers, or how that fingerpicking pattern goes, etc... but the metronome should be right there in front of you, and the moment you feel you've got the basic mechanics worked out, you should turn it on and practice along with it.

Other tips are:

-make sure the tempo is slow enough so you don't make mistakes. If you're making a lot of mistakes, and losing time with the metronome, slow the tempo down.

-look into practicing with a "beat box"... something that has drums and bass you can play along with. Its makes practicing more fun, and with a bass sound in there, you can hear how different scales sound when played along with the bass line. Its like 2 for 1 practicing... you're training your ear as well as your hands. I use a BOSS DR880, but there are cheaper options out there like KORG's Pandora.