Questions on Randy Rhoads sound

pauliewalnuts
pauliewalnuts
04/28/2002 10:11 pm
I would like some info on How to come closer to a Randy Rhoads sound. Now I know that a good percentage of his sound came from his fingertips but as far as pedals and equipment and settings go can ya kick me some facts. Here's what I am currently using. An Ibanez gem dbk with diaddario .009's w dimarzio breed pickups 2 humbucks and a single coil, (I have a super distortion that I haven't yet installed). into an mxr distortion pedal into a crybaby wah then into a Marshall jcm 900 head w/a Marshall cab with 4 75w speakers. Now I know I am missing alot of things but this is what I am using what can I do to get me closer, if anyone can give me settings on amps and pedals that would be great. I have a pretty good sound but it could be better. If anyone knows how to get me closer let me know. Oh another thing does anyone know how to use the mxr pedal and not have it sound real muddy super duper distorted, I also get a kind of hum also. well thanx p walnuts
# 1
Slasha
Slasha
05/14/2002 9:30 pm
Im pretty sure he uses an MXR Distortion + for most of his distorted riffs. And, if you really want to sound like him im pretty sure they have a signature guitar our there for him. Also; sometimes it sounds like he uses a wah pedal that is set on the "sweet spot" (right in between the up and down positions. try and get the pedal strait across and parallell to the floor). It sounds like th wah thing in Crazy Train.

Good luck to ya!
:cool: Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 2
MXRm104
MXRm104
02/12/2005 3:19 am
Yah, he used an MXR distorion +, but to get a thicker tone, he played through a mildly overdriven amp. On the MXR set the output to 10 and the distortion at 5. You can combine this with a wah pedal like in crazy Train.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.