G50 Pilot Report

Chrisser
Chrisser
06/09/2013 3:17 am
I bought a Line 6 G50 about 3 weeks ago based on a couple of months of research. Found lots of good info here, though I'd give my .02.

Price - 399 MAP - After playing some coupon and price match games I got it for $324 shipped.

The Good - Signal seems rock solid - much better than my old AKG units. When I flipped back and forth with a cable at first I thought I heard a small difference but I've gotten used to it or I imagined it. Receiver goes right on the pedal board and runs off my Voodoo labs Power supply just great. Signal strength and body pack BATTERY strength are clearly displayed on the pedal board mounted receiver. The Battery indicator has 3 green bars that click down like a gas gage - really nice - then goes red with you are getting close... The battery power is a bit pessimistic, which is good, even when you go "red" you'll still make it to the next break - easy. During practice I let it go just to see how much I had left - played well over an hour before it finally stopped.

Everything on the G50 is METAL and seems VERY well made - I heard guys with the G30 complain about the battery door - that's not an issue with the G50. The G30 does use a STANDARD 1/4 inch cable which is a plus but the rest of it is plastic and I didn't think it would hold up for me.

The Bad - For a unit that seems really well made the instrument cable it comes with it is disappointing - too short and just seems to not be up to the same quality as the rest of the unit. It also uses a special connector to go to the body pack rather than 1/4". Fortunately it's the same connector that Shure uses for a bunch of their stuff! I plan on replacing it with a Lava cable or one of the Shure cables that is compatible with the connector on the G50.

I'd buy it again. :D
# 1
The Mando
The Mando
09/12/2013 9:33 pm
I too bought the Line6 G50... I paid $299 (AMS)... "demo/scratch and dent" model...in PRISTINE like new condition with warranty. I've never used wireless before...and I'm not tech savvy. I plugged it in and went... absolutely idiot proof... and it works AWESOME.

The only thing I modified...was I took the plug-in jack that plugs into the guitar and I went to Radio Shack and had a low profile flat plug put on so that it is almost invisible...and there's no jack sticking out now to catch on anything...other than that it's stock. The unit is small... and from what I was told, of all the brands, it is the ONLY one designed by actual guitarists....instead of some non-musician tech engineer. (?)

I use ultimate lithium and Duracell Duralock rechargeable NiMH batteries... and get around 8 hours play per charge...or disposable... the lithiums are SWEET, but not rechargeable :-( . The batteries don't just poop out on you there is PLENTY of warning with the three light system. The unit is small enough that it actually fits in-between the folds of my guitar strap and is nearly invisible. I LOVE IT. (great Xmas gift for that musician in your life)

I hope someday to actually get to put this to use on a stage...
PEACE
# 2
Chrisser
Chrisser
10/08/2013 4:34 am
I was on stage with mine this weekend - works great! I'll never go back on "the leash"! :D
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.