guitar books, tutorials?

spoonman
spoonman
06/07/2000 3:26 am
Ive been playing for about a year..actually a litte under a year and was wondering if anybody knows any good tutorials that i can use at this stage of my playing..i feel like im in a rut an theres nothing i can do or play....thx
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/07/2000 5:10 am
When I was in a big rut, I started this site.
True story, I couldn't think of anything to play that wasn't plain vanilla pentatonic scale. I was hoping somebody would send me some cool riffs.

Lately, when I want something new I try magnus and johan for difficulty. I also like peter's stuff for originality. I also get a lot out of the acoustic stuff at www.guitarwar.com

I just got a really good jazz-slanted theory book. I am not into jazz, but wanted to brush up my theory education. It is called "Theory and Harmony for the Contemporary Musician" by Arnie Berle.

hope this helps.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2000 5:24 am
Oh man...there is so much stuff you can learn I don't even know where to begin. If you're not familiar with it, now might be a good time to dive into modal theory. For guitarists, it's a fundamental thing to know. See if you can find the June 2000 issue of Guitar One. There is an article called "Mastering the Modes" in it that is fabulous.

While there is no substitute for a good guitar teacher who knows his stuff, this is a good starting point for theory.

There are endless things to learn: how chords are made, soloing over a given progression, non-diatonic scales, general music theory...the list goes on.

I think that once you ground yourself a bit in any type of theory, you're improvisational skills will grow by leaps and bounds.

Anyway...find that issue of Guitar One!

Peace, Love, and Good Happiness Stuff
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
spoonman
spoonman
06/07/2000 11:54 am
thx for your replys im definitely gonna look into this stuff guys...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.