9.5" vs 12" radius?

Stringybark
Stringybark
05/06/2013 1:55 pm
So, my choice between guitars comes down to a few differences. One of them is the Yamaha Pacifica with 12" radius and the Squier Classic Vibe Tele at 9.5"

Which one is preferable? I guess it will be a individual taste, or is it?
The accidental guitarist.
# 1
compart1
compart1
05/06/2013 2:12 pm
Here's some more help String
Figuring out the radius

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/fretboard-radius-explained
# 2
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/06/2013 9:45 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Here's some more help String
Figuring out the radius

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/fretboard-radius-explained

Thanks, I read it but it doesn't seem to me to be giving much decisive guidance.

I then found this long discussion about radii http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-804383.html

Again, nothing really conclusive about what radius to choose when playing a particular style of music.

It seems that it does in the end come down to the individual's personal preference.

I am beginning to understand why some people start guitar collections. I would love to buy two: one with 12" and the other with 9.5" radius and then over time, as I learn to play, decide with one feels the best to me. Even then, though, my preference may change as I progress.
The accidental guitarist.
# 3
maggior
maggior
05/07/2013 11:31 am
Originally Posted by: StringybarkI am beginning to understand why some people start guitar collections. I would love to buy two: one with 12" and the other with 9.5" radius and then over time, as I learn to play, decide with one feels the best to me. Even then, though, my preference may change as I progress.

Yes, you are right! And this is just one aspect. There are pickup differences (single coil vs. humbucker), floating bridge (whammy bar) vs. fixed bridge, hollow body vs. solid body, and so on. Depending on the style of music you play, one may be more suited than the other. Unless you strictly stick with one style of music, one guitar is not likely to be a great fit for all of your needs.

Sometimes it can just be a matter of inspiration - the feel of one guitar may be inspiring for a certain type of music for you.

With neck radius, what I think you need to do is spend some serious time in a guitar store that has both. Spend an hour or so playing each. That may sound excessive, but I spent well over an hour playing each guitar that I've purchased to make sure it was what I wanted and suited me. I did the same for my daughter's starter guitar. Ask the sales person also...they may have some perspective since many of them are gigging professional musicians.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2013 4:10 pm
In general flatter radius fretboards (12") would give you more playability. 9.5 in fret board radiuses are more for vintage feel and vibe. But they tend to "fretout" when you're bending strings. What this means is when you bend a string far enough the string actually stretches and touches the fret that is closer to the bridge and deadens the note or you get fret buzz.

Flatter the better for playability. As with most things with guitar, there are functional differences but the main thing is individual preference.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.