maple or rosewood fingerboard?

irishsnout
irishsnout
05/05/2013 11:40 pm
Hi all. I am looking at some strat style guitars and wanted to know what are the good vs bad of each fretboard material. I cant really decide what I like better with maple vs rosewood.

Also, does anyone have experience with the humbucker pickup on the fender hss models? I've tinkered around with one but not enough to take it over the single coil.
# 1
maggior
maggior
05/06/2013 1:30 pm
I'm sure there are some very subtle tonal differences, but I think the main difference is how it feels in your hand and which look you perfer. Maple fretboards (at least mine on my strat) are VERY smooth, rosewood fretboards have a rougher finish. It is when you are bending strings that you will notice this difference the most.

Cosmetically, the fretboards looks very different. Back in 2000 when I bought my strat, I was unaware of the difference in feel and bought one with a maple fretboard strictly because I always thought it looked cool.

Also, rosewood fretboards require some maintenance since they should be oiled preiodically so they don't dry out. Maple fretboards don't require this. Since maple is such a dense wood, the oil doens't penetrate to any significant degree. My maple fretboard is also finished, so that will prevent any oils from penetrating too.

I learned all of this when I bought my LP Faded Studio in 2011. The rosewood fretboard on it was a totally different beast from my maple fretboard on my strat and it took a long while to get used to. Not a big deal really...just something to adjust too.

Hope that helps.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/09/2013 2:59 am
Personal preference is Rosewood. I just don't feel the same sense of connectedness to the instrument with maple. If I'm being honest, I also totally think that distinction is in my head more than it being physically true.

I want to get a Tele someday (not so far) in the future and I'm thinking because I like the sound of a maple necked Tele, I will go maple.

There is no objective measure of which is better so it's just gotta fit you.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2013 4:24 pm
I have a strat with both and they both have their uses...

Maple is generally a little brighter in tone and really resonates the higher frequencies.

Rosewood is a bit more balanced while adding a little more warmth.

I can't have an even comparison with my two Strats. Wouldn't be fair to say one is better than the other. They don't have the same pickups in them either...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.