Hello from Yorktown, VA

ISirius42
ISirius42
04/21/2013 2:37 pm
Joined about a month ago. I think this is a great site. I've been playing and tinkering for over 20 year and am trying to learn more so that I can feel and play more confidently. My near-term goal is to play more with others.

One of my favorite guitar related quotes is from a friend. He once complimented me after I nailed a George Harrison solo. I told him that I'd been practicing it for quite a long time. His response was, "Practice is never over-rated." How true.

My current challenge is trying to determine WHAT technical and knowledge skills to work on. I've run through and re-run through the fundamentals in books, magazines and website so many times that is more discouraging than encouraging--it feels like panning for gold. But I am looking forward finding those nuggets and becoming a better player and band mate. Any advice on how to accelerate the panning process is appreciated.

Play on!
# 1
Stringybark
Stringybark
04/21/2013 10:02 pm
Welcome, mate!

Having learned to play another instrument, I will say this: to move on to the next level you need to push yourself against the hard stuff; and you MUST have a weekly plan of specific things to achieve. That is the only way forward.

See you around!
The accidental guitarist.
# 2
ISirius42
ISirius42
04/23/2013 2:08 am
Great advice. Thanks!
# 3
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/23/2013 9:59 am
Hey bro

Welcome to the forum. I know how you feel on feeling overwhelmed by all the information out there, and wondering what to do next and how to do it. At this time and age probably all guitarist feel that to some extent. What I found was that finding a guitar teacher solved this big time, by giving stuff in portions in the most effective order. You can also learn to be your own teacher by practicing your observation skills. Here are some tips to help you knowing what to do :

1 : Practice freedom : Play something and observe what you need to think about that comes in the way of just feeling the music.

Example : You play a song, and you need to think about how to shift chords just right on time. If that is the first thought, that is the first barrier you need to remove. Isolate that, and practice it.

Continue the process. You will see that the progress is very efficient since you are practicing the most relevant stuff.

Good practice
# 4
John Drysdale
John Drysdale
04/26/2013 6:02 pm
+1

Welcome, Magnus! It's great to see you here!
# 5
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/29/2013 6:38 pm
Chord tone soloing if often overlooked. This might be a good place to expand your playing ability? here are a couple great lessons on it:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=958
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13178&c_id=16&ch_id=98&s_id=756
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.