View post (hey gang I have a squier strat..)

View thread

maggior
maggior
05/14/2013 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Elliott JeffriesCan someone explain how you get tone from your fingers? I understand tremolo, legato and bends. Playing a song with feeling, that would be playing the notes and chords in a way that communicates. My understanding of tone was the type of guitar and amp being used.

The type of guitar and amp certainly are factors in a player's tone. However, the player makes choices on the settings to use. There are the tone controls on the amp, there are the pickups on the guitar, and there are tone controls on the guitar itself.

Beyond that, the player can impact the tone by how and where they strike the strings with their pick. The "how they strike the string" involves things like pick attack, pinch harmonics, and palm muting. The "where they strike the string" involves how close to the bridge the player strikes the string. Striking closer to the bridge gives a more tebbly sound, where has further away give a more robust full sound.

Even the choice of pick has an impact on the sound produced - a flimsy vs. firm one, plastic vs. nylon.

Think of all of the different combinations that are possible with just these few things and you'll understand the wide variety of tone options that are available.

These are all fun things you can play around with and experiment. You will find different techniques that appeal to you they will work their way into your style.

Palm muting was something that I never really understood until Chris Schlaegal explained it very simply in one of his lessons. Being able to so that easily has opened a whole new dimension to my sound. And that's just one technique!