Maximising playing time by rote learning away from your guitar

HarvieKrumpet
HarvieKrumpet
04/08/2013 11:48 pm
Hey folks, just wanted to share a practice tip that's helped me maximize my playing time and has taken some of the pain away from memorizing shapes, notes etc.

Let's face it, a lot of learning the guitar comes down to rote learning, memorizing information and loads of repetition. The good news is you can do a lot of this learning away from your instrument and I've found that when I do sit down with my guitar my practice sessions are a lot more efficient and effective. I'll give you the example that's specific to me and you'll see how simple the idea is and how it can be adapted to whatever you are currently working on.

First I picked three things that I wanted to be able to recall nice and quickly, in this case it was the degrees of the chromatic scale, the scale degrees in the E major shape on the neck and finally the names of each note on the neck. I then committed to spending just five minutes on each of these per day.

For the chromatic scale degrees I simply spent five minutes writing the number 1-12 in a random order then filling out their appropriate scale degree names.

To memorize the scale degrees I just got one of the many iPhone apps made for learning these and spent five minutes per day on the E Major scale.

Same thing for the note names, download an app and start with 5 minutes per day on one string, then two, then three and so on as your recall becomes easier.

It's really that simple. By finding just 5 minutes three times a day to learn away from the guitar I've found when I do sit down with the instrument the information is so much easier to recall and I'm getting more out of my practice sessions. I've also found it a lot less frustrating memorizing things this way. Rather than cramming as much as possible in at a time, I simply pace the learning, sticking to a five minute cap.

Remember that 3x5 minute sessions is 15 minutes, x7 days per week is 1hr 45 mins per week, over a month is 7 HOURS!!! It's this cumulative effect that I believe makes this so effective.

Hope this tip helps you just as it's helped me and I welcome any feedback on how people adapt this idea to suit their own learning.

Thanks.
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/09/2013 3:18 pm
Awesome tip, Harvie!
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/09/2013 7:03 pm
Different subject/approach but same idea is the Guitar Fretboard Workbook .

I've recommended this book before here. I found it very helpful to go through the exercises and process of drawing out scale shapes on fretboard paper before attempting to play them on the guitar. Really speeds up the learning curve!
# 3
steve.mullen
steve.mullen
04/10/2013 12:35 pm
Great suggestion. I agree that it's easy to overlook the cumulative effect of a little bit of regular practise.

I find that apps are a great way of doing this quickly and easily. I'm curious though, does anyone have any favourites? I'm trying out one called Trainer right now. It's quite simple but effective for improving fretboard knowledge. (and no, I'm not affiliated/related to the author ;) )
# 4
e2350s30596
e2350s30596
04/21/2013 3:33 pm
thanks Harvie, good tip!

"It's only Rock n' Roll, But I like it!"
# 5
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
04/22/2013 3:57 pm
This is a good, convenient exercise for learning the neck a few minutes a day.
http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/fretboard/yyyyyyy9by998yy
# 6
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/23/2013 10:25 am
Bro, what a great reminder. This can really help memorize some of the lessons I am currently working on so I can focus more on the technique.
# 7
Paulaguita
Paulaguita
04/26/2013 2:43 am
Wonderful information for me
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.