Drop D or C tuning

Mountain_Man333
Mountain_Man333
04/25/2002 12:11 am
Hey, im not really new to this instrument but i never really took the time to learn a few small things so i need a little help with some tuning. I cant really figure out how to tune to drop c. it doesnt come out right. If anyone could help me with this please do.

~Ryan~
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/25/2002 4:20 am

What's up holmes? Well, first of all you're gunna need some heavy gage strings. If you tune to drop C with regular 9 gage it's gunna sound like crap no matter what you do. Second of all, you're probably going to blow out your amp because guitar amps aren't built to take such low frequencies. Big name bands like Sevendust, Korn, and Tantric that play in drop C have special "tricked out" amps that can take their kind of abuse. Just a few words of caution.

Ok, to tune to drop C you first need to tune your entire guitar down a whole step (i.e. the E string goes to D, A to G, D to C, etc). Then drop your low E string another whole step to C. That's it. Pretty easy huh? . . . you'll be sounding like Linkin Park in no time (if that's a good thing . . . lol).
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
04/25/2002 9:18 am
Originally posted by Christoph

Second of all, you're probably going to blow out your amp because guitar amps aren't built to take such low frequencies.

A bit off topic, but I just wanted to say I play a 7-string through a normal amp and cabinet, and I've never had any problems with it regarding the frequencies being too low.
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/25/2002 4:36 pm

Not all amps are created equal, I suppose.
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
04/27/2002 1:46 pm
The amp should't have a problem with the lower frequency, although an amp could be optimized to take advantage of the sound somewhat, the low E note of a standard tuned guitar is 80hz, (if I remember correctly), guitar speakers usally drop a little lower than 80hz, so the dropped C tuning and 7 strings (Low B right?) are starting to play with the very bottom end of what a guitar speaker was designed for....
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/28/2002 1:12 am
Having gotten down to somewhere around an A standard tuning, I can say that most (untampered) amps can indeed deal with "lower frequencies"...that said...
Christoph's right that regular 9's will tend to be too lose when you tune down to C...Go up to 10's and it should be more than fine...Go to 11's or twelves and you'd get a similar effect as having say 12 - 13 in standard tuning...
If you're having difficulty tuning, some things to consider...does your guitar have a floating bridge? If so, this will cause some initial problems when tuning, as the bridge has to find a "sweet spot" to stay in tune...A way of speeding up this situation is to drop all your strings before you start tuning...

Anywho, hope some of that was helpful...you've rekindled an old flame so I'm off to detune and rock out for a few hours, :D Cya later people!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.