Chord Question

Kasperow
Kasperow
03/09/2013 10:51 pm
Just curious, but is the progression used in this lesson based on a specific song or something? It sounds familiar, but I just can't place where I may have heard it before...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
03/09/2013 11:59 pm
Now I feel stupid for not realizing this sooner... The A Minor and C Major scales are practically the same scale, only they start at different steps in the scale. By looking at the Notes of the C Major Scale, we can see it has C, D, E, F, G, A, B and C. By looking at the A Minor Scale, we can see that it has A, B, C, D, E, F, G and A. Both Scales hit the exact same notes. The only difference is that A Minor starts two "steps" lower than C Major.

It may not be the best way to memorize scales, but only having to remember one pattern that can be moved around as needed is a lot easier for me than remembering 24 different patterns, depending on the scale I want to practice.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2013 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowMy biggest problem right now is actually strength, speed and dexterity in both hands (and precision for the right hand).
[/quote]
The ability to play scales, chords, riffs, songs, anything evenly in time with good rhythm is fundamental.

At this point, I encourage you to stop focusing or worrying about learning theory & different scale patterns & such. You need to focus on the getting the physical mechanics of playing right.

You need to be able to play any given progression or assortment of open chords or barre chords in time consistently. As far as scales, pick ONE, simple scale pattern from GF2 scale practice. Drill it slowly and in time until you can play it without fail or hesitation.

Songs are fine to learn, but getting the basic mechanics of changing basic chord right & in time is crucial. After all, without basic mechanics, you will never get all the way through any song anyway.
[QUOTE=Kasperow]
Just curious, but is the progression used in this lesson based on a specific song or something?

You've heard it 1,000s of times. :) It is a very generic, stereotypical chord progression that ha been used for many, many songs.

C (I) - Am (vi) - F (IV) - G (V)
"one, six, four, five"

It's the basis of Stand By Me, Stay, Last Kiss (Oh Where Can My Baby Be?), & lots of others. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
03/10/2013 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelThe ability to play scales, chords, riffs, songs, anything evenly in time with good rhythm is fundamental.

At this point, I encourage you to stop focusing or worrying about learning theory & different scale patterns & such. You need to focus on the getting the physical mechanics of playing right.

You need to be able to play any given progression or assortment of open chords or barre chords in time consistently. As far as scales, pick ONE, simple scale pattern from GF2 scale practice. Drill it slowly and in time until you can play it without fail or hesitation.[/QUOTE]
Alright. I'll try that until I can play the scales flawlessly.

[QUOTE=CSchlegel]You've heard it 1,000s of times. :) It is a very generic, stereotypical chord progression that ha been used for many, many songs.

C (I) - Am (vi) - F (IV) - G (V)
"one, six, four, five"

It's the basis of Stand By Me, Stay, Last Kiss (Oh Where Can My Baby Be?), & lots of others. :)

So that's where I've heard it before... It did sound a bit like the chords for Stand By Me, but the rhythm was off, so I couldn't place where I've heard it.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.