1976 Super Reverb

turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
02/27/2013 10:53 pm
I've been playing through a Twin Reverb reissue for the past year. I love the tone, but it just doesn't sound as full as I'd like. I guess I just like playing in front of 4 speakers instead of 2.

Anyway, I came across someone selling an all-original 1976 Super Reverb. He doesn't have any pictures of it (he sounds pretty old on the phone), but he says it's in perfect shape. He was originally asking for $850, but he told me that $700 is his rock bottom price.

I did a fair amount of research on the Twins before I got mine, but I don't know much about the Supers. I'm thinking $700 is incredibly cheap if it's in as good of shape as he claims. Is this as good of a deal as I think it is?

I know several people I could unload my Twin on for $650 immediately, so this really isn't gonna cost me anything.

Opinions? Should I go for it?
# 1
haghj500
haghj500
02/28/2013 2:49 am
Back in 76/77 I bought a new Twin Reverb as I remember I paid about $450.00
Like you I began to feel two speakers was not enough, so I found a friend who wanted to sell a Fender two 12” cabinet, ran a cord from the extra line out on the back of the amp to the cabinet and had 4 speakers. The amp will push all 4 speakers all night.

Those old Amps had old style electrical parts in them. Be sure you see it played through before you buy.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
02/28/2013 4:22 pm
Please, if you could, further explain your definition of "full". I ask only to better understand what specific sound you're trying to get.

Any time I talk to someone who is inquiring about a Fender Twin Reverb or Super Verb (or the like) I always have to question what their use is for the amp is. Mostly because these are not bedroom amps... At 85 watts the Twin Reverb is a LOUD amp. With no master volume it becomes very difficuct to get the most out of these amps in practical settings... i.e. home studios, small practice spaces, or small gigs. They are GREAT clean amps... known for their clean tones and Fender reverb. That's really what they're known for and really where they shine. If you're looking for anything with grit that can be naturally overdriven - these aren't the amps for you. In most cases professional musicians will use these as their clean amps, but when they switch to an overdrive or distorted tone they will have a seperate rig with a different amp for that...

So, back to the whole "full" question... I imagine that volume is not your qualm with the Twin Reverb. I'm thinking you might be using the wrong amp entirely for the tone that you're looking for. When I think of a "full" sound I'm thinking of something that's the opposite as brittle... Equal response across all frequency ranges with good bottom end and nice clean top end.

With all that being said - Check out a Vox AC15 or AC30 (if you really need that much power). I think you might find the sound to be a bit less of a one trick pony and a bit "fuller".

I love, love, love Fender clean tones... my next amp will most certainly be a Fender Princeton. However, on more than one occasion I have talked myself out of buying a Twin Reverb simply becuase it's not a practical amp for studio uses.... I tried a lot of amps out and settled on the AC15 becuase it's power output is right where a studio/small gig tube amp should be. Gets loud enough for any practical band situation, has a master volume so you can clean it up at higher volumes or get it to break up at lower volumes, built in trem and reverb... Classic tone. That's where I would usually steer someone who thinks they need an 85 watt Fender Tube amp... haha. Unless they just love the clean sound - In which case, you cannot go wrong.
# 3
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
02/28/2013 5:42 pm
Thanks for the responses, guys. aschleman, when I say full, I mean the sound you get from 4 speakers instead of just 2. I've played in front of half stacks and 4x10 combos, and to me at least, it just feels like there's a lot more sound at the same or even lower volumes than my Twin.

When I bought my Twin, I was coming from a crappy solid state Crate amp and just flat out didn't realize how loud 85 watts out of a tube amp would be. I ended up getting a Power Soak after a while which I have cranked all the way down when I'm practicing by myself.

I really love the tone of my amp. After a year of playing on it, though, I realize I like the feel of a 4x10 or half stack better than 2x12s.

I posted this question on a couple other forums, and it turns out that '76 was the year they changed the Supers from 45 watts to 70. They did this in the middle of the year, so this amp could be either. It seems that the consensus is that if it's a 45 watt Super Reverb and is actually in perfect condition, go for it. If it's the 70 watt version and has ultra-linear output transformers, I should pass.
# 4
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
03/04/2013 7:11 pm
Turned out to be the 45 watt version, and it was in even better condition than I hoped. The tolex and grill look 100% mint, and the faceplate is probably at about 95% mint.

I absolutely love the sound of this thing. I didn't think I would notice that much of a difference, but I definitely like it a lot more than the Twin reissue. Plus, having the master volume is much nicer than having to deal with the Power Soak.
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/05/2013 8:39 am
That's great that you were able to go from a re-issue to a true vintage amp. I had a Fender Princeton loaded to me for an extensive amount of time many years ago, and loved it. Offered to buy it from my friend, but alas, no. Decades later I got to try out a Fender Re-issue Princeton, and wasn't impressed at all. Build quality did not seem good at all. Ended up getting a Laney Lionheart for the same price, way better construction (British made, not Chinese) and it sounds awesome. Some of the re-issue amps are so pricey, they end up being in the same range as quality boutique amps which I think are properly both superior in construction and sound quality.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.