Back in the Saddle

cdindia
cdindia
01/18/2013 6:57 pm
Hey everyone,

I started playing guitar in the mid 90’s after listening to SRV’s Texas Flood with an “enhanced” perspective and really being inspired to give the guitar a try. So I did, and mostly self-taught, but never really bothered to “understand” music. I played purely by ear, and learned enough to get by. I wasn't very good, but through a friend of a friend hooked up with a band and played the local club scene for a couple of years. It’s kind of funny that after being inspired by Texas blues, I ended up playing in an industrial hard rock band. But I guess just about anybody can sound decent playing in drop D with a ton of distortion. Well, that ended, my guitars went into their cases, and that was the end of that.

Now, fast forward 15 years, a career, a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, baseball, soccer, homework…you know…life as a suburban dad. One day last summer I decided that I needed something for me again; I needed to be inspired. So, I pulled out my acoustic, tuned it up, and a hobby from over a decade ago was re-kindled as an obsession.

These days my musical taste is diverse, but when it comes to playing the guitar I’m really into rockabilly. Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore, Brian Setzer, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Eddie Cochran…the list goes on and on. I have a long way to go, but it’s a really fun style to learn. Sooo, more rockabilly lessons from Jinx would be awesome! One of these days I’ll add a Brian Setzer signature Gretsch to my guitars, but for now I’ll have to make do with my Strat and Les Paul.

I have to say, Guitar Tricks has really helped keep me from falling into practice ruts and actually made it…fun!

Chris
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/18/2013 8:30 pm
Hey Chris,
Glad to hear you're having fun. We'll let Jinx know. He's kind of busy, but I'm sure he can squeeze us in somewhere.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2013 7:12 pm
Hi Chris,

Wonderful letter - congrats to you for doing something for YOU at this juncture.

We are delighted to be part of that!

Welcome, and have fun!
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.