Barre Chord Problems

John2k53
John2k53
01/11/2013 2:34 am
I can play barre chords higher up the neck with no problems. When I get down the neck to play a C or D major barre chord using the E major shape I can never get a clean sound. Any suggestions?
# 1
haghj500
haghj500
01/11/2013 2:56 am
At this point it is a strength/endurance problem. Work to make your hands stronger, buy a smaller rubber ball you can squeeze or boxer grips. Just keep at it, you will get it.
# 2
padthaiguy
padthaiguy
01/22/2013 8:23 pm
I think we all suffer with this "paying your dues" part of learning the guitar. I just recently had my epiphany where with a slight adjustment of my thumb a titch lower on the back of the neck allowed for me to FINALLY have all 6 strings ringing true. I always practice too quickly and just decided to slow the heck down and look at my mechanics.

This adjustment also allowed me to realize how much "unnecessary" tension I had in my hand and when the tension was released it allowed me more flexibility and independence between all of my fingers. Baby steps.
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/22/2013 9:23 pm
PadThaiGuy, you are right on the money.

Sometimes it is as "simple" as a slight adjustment in the way you are holding your hands or fingers.

The key is to experiment with lots of micro-adjustments, and when you are able to clear the notes up in the barre chord, make sure you pay close attention to whatever the magic adjustment was - so you can go about re-training your hand to do it that way, every time.

Good luck, all!
(barre chords give everyone trouble - you're not alone!)

Best - Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.