41 yr old newbe in va

catking913
catking913
12/16/2012 11:39 pm
hi all my name is james and am giving this sight a try to see if maybe i can actually learn to play guitar. i have tryed a few times to learn but got discussted and quit but have made up my mind im going to learn to play if yall can help in anyway please do so
# 1
Rowcut
Rowcut
12/17/2012 1:07 am
I was setting down on music row a few weeks got talking to the guitarist I call him that because he was working it over on stage. We was setting at the bar and we got to talking about guitar playing. He told me a tip that my help you I can tell its helping me already. He said to take a credit card and put it in the palm of your hand and work your finger tips against the edge when your just setting around some where. He said make sure you work all four. You want to build up callus on your finder tips. This is also a good practice if you have to skip a day are two. I thank we need to play a least and hour a day. But you know as well as me life gets in the way sometimes. If it dose just wipe out your debit card and work them fingers over to they start acing. He said the cool thing about this was something about cross calluses made the guitar easier to play. I didn't really understand that part and I'm not 100% sure I understand it now. But when your working your fingers against the credit card your going the other way than the way the stringers would go. He claims it builds good hard calluses and faster and better. He was like a older guy and said he played with everyone one that was anyone since the 70's. I've already noticed that I'm not having to push down as hard. God lucky hope you learning go's well..

P.S. I'm learning left handed and I'm right handed thank God you don't have to do that.
# 2
The Duke of New York
The Duke of New York
12/17/2012 3:51 pm
Follow the core learning system. Guitar fundamentals 1 then 2. Do not deviate. Follow it, practice it, get it down, then move on to the next lesson. Stick with it, in sequence, don't get frustrated, and you will properly learn. This is a GREAT site to learn to play.
# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/17/2012 5:08 pm
Welcome, James!
Lots of newbies get a great start (and beyond) here.
You've come to the right place!
Have fun,
Lisa McCormick
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
Sally Steeltoe
Sally Steeltoe
12/17/2012 7:29 pm
Welcome and good luck!
-------------
I don't want to be lying on my deathbed thinking, "I shoulda learned to play the guitar; I shoulda learned to play them drums."
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.