Just Wanted To Say Great Job!

pattyb5
pattyb5
11/09/2012 1:47 pm
On your lessons. Really enjoy them. Currently working on Jessie's Girl and Keep your hands TY.

Love the site. Wish I would have had it 10-15 year ago. lol

Regards,

Pat
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/10/2012 8:09 pm
Thanks Pat! We much appriciate the kind words, and we're very glad you're enjoying the lessons!

Keep rocking!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
03/03/2013 6:21 pm
Mike seems they are loading you up, Good lessons on the latest songs. Always wanted to play that fill in "Hard to Handle" its just a sweet fill that just comes out and grabs you, How ever I am doing something wrong with the picking and its tripping up my playing. Once I hammer the notes into my head I will have to go back and see what you are doing there with your right hand. No problem with pull offs and hammer ons but that picking is making like I am not playing the right notes, My timing has to be off account of this. But you are a good instructor, you take your time, and you seem to relax the student. Thats all I have to say............Pete
For What It's Worth
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2013 3:39 pm
Thanks Pete!

Let me know which fill you're referring to and I might be able to give some tips!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
03/06/2013 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: Mike OlekshyThanks Pete!

Let me know which fill you're referring to and I might be able to give some tips!

Mike

Its The OH yea bluesy guitar solo. I am playing all the notes but it does not sound correct
For What It's Worth
# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/07/2013 12:43 am
Hey Pete,

What makes that first lick challenging is that you are incorporating picking (both downstrokes and some upstrokes) with a few pull-offs and a hammer-on. If the lick isn't sounding correct, then you must play it slower and figure out where the problem area is.

In learning any new lick, the key is to play the lick much slower than the normal tempo. Once you have the lick at the slower speed, you still must practice the lick several times at that speed, so that your muscle memory will start to become used to the movements.

This is important: always make sure you are playing the lick accurately and correctly at the slower speed before increasing the tempo!! If you don't, it doesn't matter how fast you play the lick, it will never sound correct.

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
03/13/2013 7:50 pm
Hi Mike,
could it be that the original studio version rhythm guitar part (the part from Rich Robinson) was played in open G tuning? You show it in standard tuning, and I wonder if maybe you worked the open G tuning into standard tuning?

Cheers, Ricky
# 7
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
03/13/2013 8:32 pm
This is interesting, Maybe this is why it does not sound right when I am playing it note for note, I have it stone cold but just does not sound like your playing. But open G tuning would not come into play when he takes off on the first guitar break or fill. I was thinking its my picking is off
For What It's Worth
# 8
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/14/2013 7:44 pm
Hey Ricky! Yes you are correct. Rich Robinson plays his rhythms mostly using open G, and on the recording of Hard To Handle, that is the case. I chose to teach it in standard tuning though, since there didn't seem to be a distinct reason to teach the open G version, and I thought it would be better to keep things simple.

Pete, the open G tuning wouldn't come into play for the solos anyways, as Jeff Cease (the lead guitarist at the time) used standard tuning on the recording. Keep practicing, and remember to practice slow and make sure you're getting it sounding good at a lower tempo before jamming along with the track!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.