Rebel Yell Fingerpicking

zalba
zalba
10/12/2012 3:24 pm
What a great example of a fingerpicking technique for a rock song. Great workout for the pinky too. I'm not used to fretting two strings with it and sustaining that. Whew! I can already tell this is going to build strength and stamina and be useful beyond this song as well, and that's just the fingerpicking part! The other parts have their own challenges. The song is a great one. Your lessons are always very well-presented. Thanks!
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2012 6:07 pm
Rebel Yell has lots of great stuff to dig into! I'm glad you're getting alot of out it. Keep working and keep rocking!!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
10/17/2012 4:18 pm
Mike, the "Rebel Yell" lesson is just AWESOME !!! I bought the official tab book 2 years ago, and also bought a video lesson from another company some years ago (wich turned out to be teached bad, you can tell by watching the lesson, that tutor is not into the song at all, for example he teached the intro in 2 different parts ...). So I never got to the point I mastered the song completely. Your lesson is really doing it now for me.
The solo with the flare gun effect is so cool and good, that I dream about it at night ;-)

As I really am into playing this song live with the flare gun effect, I wanted to ask you wich flanger pedal you would advise me to buy? I want to buy the best pedal for this job. True bypass hopefully and a quality pedal. I'm not into Boss for this flanger, as these pedals mostly cause noise and hiss to my signal. Could you please advise me a concrete model (stompbox pedal)?

Thanks !!!
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/18/2012 2:20 am
Awesome!! So glad you're digging the lesson!

As for the flanger pedal, you should check out the TC Electronics Vortex Flanger. It's true bypass, has plenty of controls, and reasonably priced!

Hope this helps!!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
10/18/2012 4:57 am
It sure does help ! Thanks mucho !

Ricky
# 5
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
10/18/2012 4:08 pm
Hi Mike,

I went to the music shop to have a test on the Vortex flanger pedal, but I do have to order it, they don't have it in. So I can't test it upfront. I would have ordered it, but first I wanted to ask a bit more info, cause something is confusing me a bit. In your lesson, you mention to turn all 3 knobs to 100%. But the Vortex pedal has 4 knobs, not 3 : speed, depth, feedback and delay time. So I wanted to ask first if this pedal will surely do the flare gun effect, as it's the only reason I am after a flanger.
If you used this pedal, would you remember if you turned all 4 knobs then 100% to get the flare gun effect?

Thanks,
Ricky
# 6
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/19/2012 7:10 pm
Ricky!

The most important controls are the speed and depth. You have to have those 2 controls cranked all the way up to 100% to get the effect. The other 2 controls are arbitrary; you'll have to experiment to see how they affect the sound, but if you've got speed and depth cranked right up, they should get you that ray-gun effect!

Good luck man! Let me know how it turns out!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 7
rickymurphy
rickymurphy
11/02/2012 12:39 pm
Hi Mike,

was the Vortex flanger the pedal you used yourself on the Rebel Yell lesson? You don't mention in the lesson exactly wich pedal you used yourself.

I've been searching for a true bypass flanger that ONLY has the 2 knobs you mention, and I found this little pedal (handy as it does not take too much space on the pedalboard) from MXR : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qo4YHnrqVo

It has only 2 knobs, of wich I hope they are the 2 ones you are describing as needed in your previous post. It's also true bypass, so that's a good thing. But the thing is that the music shops over here also don't have it in store, so I can only buy on order.
As I only need this pedal for the Rebel Yell solo, would you recommend still the Vortex pedal? Or would the MXR be as good?

Sorry for all the questions, but your help is really appreciated.
# 8
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2012 11:03 pm
Ricky!! No worries about the questions man! Keep firing away till we get this one solved!:)

Okay, so for the shoot, I actually used a Boss ME-50 multi-fx unit. For all the lessons on the site, I'll use my Line6 POD-XT, and for anything I have to footswitch in and out I'll use the Boss. So I just dialed up their flanger patch and turned all the knobs clockwise and I thought that sounded cool, so I went with it.

The reason I suggested the Vortex was that I had just come across it online, and it seemed to fit the bill for what you were looking for. I do NOT have any first hand experience with the unit. I did a little more digging and checked out some youtube vids on the unit (there's even one with Steve Stevens himself, although he sadly didn't attempt to get the machine gun effect in the vid). The controls seem very flexible and I'm confident you could get what you were going for with it.

That being said ... the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY if at all possible!! Try out any of the flanger pedals you're music shop has in stock. See if you can replicate the effect. Be sure to also set your tone for Heavy Crunch while you are testing the pedals, because that affects the sound as well. Also pick the brain of any guitarist salespeople at the store and get their opinion as well. They may be hip to a pedal that I am not.

The MXR pedal you are talking about seems cool, but I checked out the video and there's one section where they appear to have the controls set pretty high and it still sounded mellow, so maybe that might not be the one.

If you end up purchasing online, most online retailers allow you a full 30 day return policy if you are unsatisfied. So that may be one way to try something out for awhile, and have the option to send it back if you're not happy with it.

Hope this helps my man!! I wish I could just definitively tell you "THIS IS THE PEDAL", but unfortunately I cannot. What I can tell you is that I just fired up my POD-XT and scrolled through a bunch of flanger effects, and was able to replicate the machine gun effect on most of them (some sounded cooler than others, but they were all in the ballpark). So this leads me to believe that you should be able to dial in what you are looking for on most flanger pedals out there.

Keep searching and I know you'll find something.

Keep me posted!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.