another newbie question (:

micha999
micha999
10/10/2012 8:12 pm
i would like to know why the minor chords called minor and why the major called major?? what defines them as major or minor thanks for the attention
# 1
andrius.b
andrius.b
10/10/2012 8:31 pm
That is a very open ended question. Basically you could write a book called Why is a minor chord called minor and slowly turn it in to a 500 page music theory book.

Anyway this is how I see it:
The word minor means small and major means large. This refers to the intervals which are simply the distance between two notes (like a distance from a root note of a chord and another note in the chord. For example a C chord has a C root note). For example, a major third is a wider interval in comparison to a minor third hence the name difference.
A minor chord is a chord that is composed of a root, a minor third and a perfect fifth. A major chord is composed of a root, major third and a perfect fifth. So the difference between these two chords is the interval that goes above the root. So basically a major chord has a "larger" or wider interval (major third) above the root, and the minor chord has a "smaller" or narrower interval (minor third) above the root. This makes the chords major or minor.

At least that is how I understand it.
Does it make some sense?
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.