View post (What gear do I need?)

View thread

andrius.b
andrius.b
10/10/2012 7:34 pm
If you are just starting out, then spending lots of money on guitar effect pedals wont help you much. I would rather buy some better modeling amp that has some effects built in because you will get a MUCH better sound then your starterpack (I assume) amp. If you buy a £200 distortion pedal and run it through a 10 watt no brand starter pack amp then more often then not it will sound terrible. It is better to upgrade the amp and guitar first, and only then think about effects and tone.

Before I go on any further, what exact amp and guitar do you have?
If your amp is one of those starter pack amps, then it might be good to upgrade it first.

Because you are a beginner, investing much money into expencive tube amps and tube effect pedals is not wise, as you don't know what exact tone you want yet. That will come as you play more and learn more songs.
So modeling amp is a more logical choice. It will allow you to play around with many different amplifier simulations/models and effects. You will be able to get a very big variety of differnt tones and sounds. They are much cheaper then bying valve amps and good effect pedals.

I would recommend Peavey Vypyr 30 with Sanpera I foot controller. This will provide you with a home setup that will last you a long time before you need to upgrade. It will allow you to experiment with amps and effects, and find a combination you like. You will learn how each effect and stompbox affects the sound. You will find out how different expensive amps sound like and how their tone differs from each other. The foot controller will allow you to change from one sound preset that you design to another by a press of a foot switch. It will also allow you to engage a looper that will allow you to record some riff into the memory and then play some lead solo or something on top of it. Posibilities of what you can do with it at such a tiny price are endless.
I have one of those as my home practice amp, and it is a very good choice.
The amp costs around £170 and the foot controller around £70. That is a terrific price for such a variety of sounds and stompbox/amp/effect combinations.

Also, you said that you want 60s-to-80s rock style sounds :D
That made me smile. Literaly. :)
There are thousands of different sounds that were used in this time period for the electric guitar. This is another reason why a modeling amp like Peavey Vypyr 30 is a good choice as you can dial in or program so many different sounds. There are other good modeling amps, but I don't have personal experience with other ones so I can't comment much on them.

Anyway, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Just my 2 cents.