Chords & Fingers

Marko M
Marko M
09/30/2012 1:59 pm
Hi guys,

Moving through Fundamentals 2 and having loads of fun while waiting for my new G&L S500 to arrive :)

Now I have a question about the different finger position for the same chord.
I have noticed some instructors use different combos for lets say Em. They are all applicable in various situations.

So what I want to know is do you guys use one and only one finger position for a specific chord or do you change it depending on the situation? Its always good to have multiple options, I know. But for the time being somehow I feel am better off with just one finger position.
Action is the foundational key to all success.
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2012 6:53 am
It usually depends on what's coming next, or if I want to do certain embellishments to the chord.

For example, if I know I'm going to play a G major chord after my open Em, I might use my index finger and my middle finger for the Em. That way I don't have to move my index finger when I go to G - it stays on the 2nd fret A string.

But, if I was going for a dark, evil sound, adding the 1st fret of the B string to my Em, which is a C note, would require me to grab the Em with my middle finger and my ring finger.

So yes, having multiple options is very useful indeed.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/11/2012 1:11 am
To me it depends on sound and convenience:

Sound: 1 little note added or taken away can drastically change the sound of the chord. This can change the whole MOOD of the chord as well. A bright note added is a very different sound than a bright note taken away. Just think of it as using accents to your overall sound.

Convenience: Like Ben mentioned, it depends where you are on the fretboard. Sometimes it's hard to make a certain jump or change, so plan ahead and think of how you are setting yourself up for your next chord/note.

Actually, I'll also ad "comfortableness". Everyone's hands/fingers are different and how someone plays a chord might be almost impossible for you. So just do what your hands can do COMFORTABLY. Don't overstretch or hurt your hand fingering a chord a certain way just because that's how someone else does it.

Over time, you'll just find your preferred way of fingering a certain chord and do that all the time without thinking.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.