Retaking guitar after 15yrs and teaching my son

jariasvirtual
jariasvirtual
09/28/2012 8:57 am
When I was a kid the guitar was my world. I started with classical guitar and then got into playing electric guitar on the side. When my classical guitar teacher found out he stopped giving me classes so I had to make do on my one. I would spend hours in my room in the special world - cocoon that playing would create for me....writing, creating and playing songs. Around 21 I realized I wasnt going to be a famous rock star so I stopped playing all together. Stupid I know. I would pick a guitar up once in a while but not as before....what was the point I would say to myself.

I recently had a rediscovery of the guitar trying to teach my son. I bought him a beginners electric guitar then started to fiddle with it so I had something to teach. While on a trip to new york I couldnt resist to buy beautiful electromatic red and black Greatsch guitar and then everything came back to me. All the emotions of the past where playing guitar wasnt about being famous but about speaking to your soul. It seemed to me I had put away a big part of my personality by not playing anymore.

My playing instead of getting better....without practice....got worse....and got stuck into a pattern of playing the same thing I was playing when I was 16. Now the internet opens up many possibilities to learn songs and techniques I sorely need.

I got into Guitar Tricks to not only help me get up to par but also as a tool to teach my son. I needed some structure that I could use to follow when teaching him. Im very excited and feel that this site si going to be great in helping me accomplish that.

Regarding using the site.....there are two parts of the site: Lessons and Practice that I would like a little guidance to know how to use properly in getting the proper structure to teach my son.

What parts of the practice sessions should I use while teaching him and when? What is the best way to mix these in order provide my son with the best combination?

Thank you in advance and glad to be part of this community!
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/28/2012 6:56 pm
jariasvirtual,

Thanks for the post and welcome to Guitar Tricks!

For practice, we have laid out a collection of courses intended for that very thing in our Art of Practice lesson section. Check it out when you get a chance.

For the structured learning, the best option would be to start with the Core Learning System

Best Regards
GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.