wassathst
wassathst
09/14/2012 2:42 am
Is this a good amps for recording and playing gigs
# 1
dixxxiehaze
dixxxiehaze
09/14/2012 6:35 pm
id love to get a serious conversation between gdec 3 30 and the spider jam what is better and some real user reviews not the stuff you see on youtube from pros playing them and bigging them up

pros and cons guys between both as im torn between the two and no music stores stock gdec 3 30 so its a case of relying on reviews
# 2
alan1965
alan1965
09/22/2012 11:10 am
The g dec has unlimited possibilites as you can download presets and even use effect pedals etc if u connect to a pc. It would probably work for small gig: most people would have had a drink anyway and won't be able to hear the difference of good tone or bad. Albert King used to turn up to a gig with his guitar and plug into whatever was there.
# 3
dcsollows
dcsollows
09/25/2012 4:05 pm
As far as tone goes it's all a quite personal thing.

The main thing to keep in mind with modelling amps with loads of digital effects is whether or not you are comfortable with the interface, and whether or not the interface will allow you to achieve the combinations of effects you desire. For instance some amps with foot controllers have only 1 foot-switch for "od/dist/fuzz/boost" but their may be applications where you'd like a boost and od, etc at the same time. The same goes for volume/wah, chorus/flange/phase/uvibe, etc etc.

Just make sure you are happy with the tone, volume, and interface...especially the interface and tone...you can always mic an amp to play a gig assuming the PA is good enough.

I haven't been a big fan of the modelling amps that I've tried, I prefer stomp boxes into a nice all-tube 2x12 combo. High volumes can be an issue with this set-up.

I was using a Vox Tonelab and foot controller, which I was happy with for recording riff's and ideas on my home computer. I tried a couple of demo's with it but found allot of the tones I liked to play with didn't really sit nicely in the mix, i am however not a recording engineer so that may just be my own incompetence.

What I'm getting at really is for practising and convenience a modelling amp or unit is probably a great solution.

Cheers,
Dave
# 4
GMoman
GMoman
04/16/2014 6:40 pm
I owned one for over three years now and, Yes!!!, Iv'e used to perform live. We mic'd it through the sound system and did the SRV set. Use a single coil guitar (or coil tap switch) and the G-Dec's "Black Cat" or "Bad Boys" channel and you have a sound very close to an SRV sound. It's not perfect but the folks in the club seemed to enjoy it.

Enjoy ...
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.