Hobby Room is Done and Guitars are Hung

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/21/2012 3:50 am
So, yes I am posting my guitars that I just got hung on the wall of out newly painted and configured art/hobby room. My wife is a great painter and I, of course, do the music stuff. While I do some art and she is starting to learn the guitar...pretty much we have my side and her side...

So, my gits' from left to right are:
-Ibanez SR300 Bass (review )
-Taylor Baby Acoustic
-Fender Strat
-Gibson ES333
-Fender T-Bucket (review )

...and below them are:
-Ibanez M510 Mandolin
-M-Audio Key Studio Controller

That's about it, figure I couldn't go anywhere else to share in my guitar geekitudness but here....
# 1
Bobk42
Full Access
Bobk42
Full Access
08/21/2012 4:15 pm
Hope you hit the wall studs :)
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/21/2012 5:35 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65That's about it, figure I couldn't go anywhere else to share in my guitar geekitudness but here....

That's wonderful! Looks great. Congrats. It's very satisfying to have a designated place for your stuff. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/24/2012 12:45 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65...pretty much we have my side and her side...

The secret to success!

Nice room!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/25/2012 10:04 am
Originally Posted by: Bobk42Hope you hit the wall studs :)

Yep, the spacing is exactly 16" on center for those guitar hangers. Though the Baby Taylor needed anchors because the stud was not on center (there is a structural thing on the other side of the wall....and the Taylor weighs like a half pound....
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
08/25/2012 5:58 pm
It's been 35 or so years since I last seen an ES333, it was blond also. If you don't mind saying, how did you come across that old beauty?

The rest look nice also.
# 6
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
08/25/2012 10:25 pm
The door seems to open towards the guitars ! I would be scared somebody opens the door not knowing there's guitars behind and....bang !
I hope that chair acts as a stopper and that it wont be moved or a big sign on the door WARNING ! ... and no kids, because they will forget :)
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/26/2012 1:13 pm
Originally Posted by: SebastBergThe door seems to open towards the guitars ! I would be scared somebody opens the door not knowing there's guitars behind and....bang !
I hope that chair acts as a stopper and that it wont be moved or a big sign on the door WARNING ! ... and no kids, because they will forget :)[/QUOTE]

You can't quite see it but there is a good, solid immovable stopper. When we talked about hanging the gits, that was my first thing I was sure I needed...and no kids...so I got that goin' for me :D

[QUOTE=haghj500]It's been 35 or so years since I last seen an ES333, it was blond also. If you don't mind saying, how did you come across that old beauty?

The rest look nice also.

I do like the guitar. Though I'm wondering if you are thinking of a different ES model. This ES333 was in productions from only 2003 to 2005. It was made to be a cheaper alternative to the ES335 and was supposed to be sold for about $900. However, rumor has it that dealers jacked up the price to $1500 and it never sold much and was discontinued after 2 years. I think it was supposed to be like the Les Paul Studio deal. All the 'fancies' stripped down and only pure guitar left. Still a Memphis made guitar on the same line as the 335 so it's a pretty good guitar. Funny thing is, if you look them up on eBay now, they're going for about $1500.

At some point, I am going to do some updates on the volume/tone pots and knobs, add a 335 pick guard and a pair of Gibson 57/57+ pick ups...Haven't got around to it yet.

I actually was given this guitar to be it's caretaker by my uncle-in-law who lived in an old Chicago house that was always damp an never the right conditions for the ES. It wouldn't stay in tune so he never played it. Said to me 'Want to me it's caretaker? If I ever ask for it back, you'd be ok with me getting it back to play?'...Which is true.

Thing was, he had been in dialysis for a decade or more and knew his days were numbered. When he passed, the family 'willed' it to me because he and I were always cool and would talk guitar stuff. He'd apparently said he wanted to me to have it because he appreciated that it was going to someone who would play it and did it justice when I played...Nice thing to say.
# 8
haghj500
haghj500
08/26/2012 4:43 pm
Jeffs65

Like I said it's been 30 years, did some checking and I was talking about the es330. The 335, 333 and 330 all apear about the same in pictures.

I think it's cool how it became yours, seems he must have liked the guitar and wanted to make sure it had a good home with someone he trusted. I have a guitar I bought back in 1976 it will go to my son. He does not play but has listened to me play it for hours.

He started learning, then gave it up. I asked him why. He said you make it look so easy, I didn't think it would take much work to play like you.

I would like to see that picture again, only this time take the straps off the guitars.

Thanks for the answer.
# 9
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/29/2012 1:16 am
The collection really looks great. But...

Long-term hanging isn't for my guitars. Too many potential issues with dust, sunlight, pressure on the headstock/neck, finish problems (from the hangers and/or straps left on) and 'accidents'. Some of that may be old wives tales, some may not apply to all guitars. But I've got two nice instruments and if they're out of my hands for more than ten minutes they're in their cases. I'm just too much of a wussy...

But your's sure look bitchin'. :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 10
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/31/2012 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTThe collection really looks great. But...

Long-term hanging isn't for my guitars. Too many potential issues with dust, sunlight, pressure on the headstock/neck, finish problems (from the hangers and/or straps left on) and 'accidents'. Some of that may be old wives tales, some may not apply to all guitars. But I've got two nice instruments and if they're out of my hands for more than ten minutes they're in their cases. I'm just too much of a wussy...

But your's sure look bitchin'. :D

Thanks...Before I hung them, I did some 'net research....and found out that no one agrees on the subject of wall hanging... :eek:

So figured that due to space constraints that they were better protected on the wall. They pretty much all have gig bags. I want to get hard shells but I haven't invested since I've been putting money in to getting the recording ability up to snuff...and the lack of consensus on wall hanging seemed to tell me that, for now, I'd be ok. Not an overhwlming endorsement of why, is it? ;)
# 11
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/31/2012 11:04 pm
For issues such as stress on the head/neck/truss rod you're right...there's no concensus. And the guitars look sooo good! ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/31/2012 11:08 pm
For issues such as stress on the head/neck/truss rod you're right...there's no consensus. And the guitars look sooo good! ;)

I'd keep the guitars out of direct sunlight and make sure the hangers are made of material safe for the different finishes of the instruments. And I'd lose the straps until it's play time...
-- Chet Atkins
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.