Miking your amp for recording

Slasha
Slasha
04/08/2002 1:34 am
I have a multitrack digital recorder, and lately i've been miking my amp with an sm57 but i've tried several microphoning techniques and different positions, but i just cant get that raunchy sound that i want, it never sounds very real. if you guys have any tips or anything, please tell me.

Thanks

S L A S H a :cool:
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/08/2002 2:09 am
The only tip I can really give you is to check that your eq is ok, then crank the amp quite a bit - to 6 or above on the master. Does your amp sound fine just being listened to, and in the recording it sounds bad? If that is the case then your multitrack might just not be very good. I'm a bit confused by your question. Can you get the sound you want before you start recording? Or are you not able to get the tone you want at all?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/08/2002 2:52 am
The Shure SM-57 is a good mic for this application. I've found that people tend to get too fancy in placing it. The mic doesn't 'hear' quite the way we do. I think you'll find that if you hang it by the cord over the cabinet so that the 'ball' of the mic is just back of the edge of the speaker, it sounds pretty good.

This assumes that your amp is giving you the sound you want in the first place. Good mic placement will help capture your sound. It has to be there to be captured.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.