transition to electric guitar

munqy
munqy
04/01/2002 6:16 am
Recently i put up some posts regading my problems with picking. Well i've found teh problem. My left hand is basicly better than my right when it comes to playing teh guitar. I've been playing teh spanish guitar for 6 years and it has a really wide neck and high 'action' (dist b2ween the strings and the fretboard). Now i never picked up a pick until 7 months ago. Well in terms of right hand tecniques i'm betetr with my fingers. Well how to i cope with playing with a pick. I've been playing for 7 months, i canplay most tons of songs by metallica, megadeth, maiden, bodom, yngwi, Pantera, - all of which are lead based. Problem is when i solo i end up doubling ( remember that post??) Thats solved but i bet teh root of all my problems in terms of technigue are due to the lack of experiance with a pick. So how do i overcome this ( without slowing down). Or should i stick to playing hendrix with a spanish acoustic?
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
Gulder
Gulder
04/01/2002 11:09 am
once again, practice :) Maybe you should do some chromatic picking exercise. -1-2-3-4- all over the strings/frets with stringskipping etc. Ripping through some scales would be pretty good too I think.
Picking fast(and descent at the same time) is just moving your pick up and down, simple as that. So you want to move the pick as little as possible to get the fastest speed. The more space there is between each pick movement, the slower you'll be. It's better to use only the tip of your pick (but I guess you already knew that)
I've also seen people who hold their pick between the tip of their thumb and index finger. I find it much easier when I lay the pick on the side (first inch) of my index and give it a some support with my middlefinger when it's hold in position with my thumb. Offcourse you should only do what feels best for you
So:
*As little space between the pickmovements as possible
*Use pick tip
*Give the pick a comfortable position to speed up

Try to relax as much as you can, you don't want to cramp up. Hope I pushed you in the right direction.

Gul

[Edited by Gulder on 04-01-2002 at 05:26 AM]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.