View post (Playing By Ear??)

View thread

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
03/21/2012 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardJust curious, what's the end goal? What is "playing by ear" going to allow you to do that you can't do now. I think what Jon is saying is really relevant. You hear about some people, and people saying "that guy has a really good ear"... but that's probably just a combination of experience and natural talent. But if its a real battle for you, and it sounds like you're not enjoying it, is there really a good, clear reason why you're going after it?

Great feedback everyone; appreciate it.

Slipin, great question. This all started because of direction I provided my teacher. I didn't want to just go to You Tube, watch a guy tell me "put your first finger on the 3rd fret, second, then put...." so I told my teacher I wanted to learn to play the guitar, know what I am doing etc. What I think I am starting to realize is there is a whole lot in between the two extremes. Perhaps obvious to some, but what did I know...think I've come to the realization that, for me, I want to continue down the path the teacher is taking me down but rely on some of the great tools out there like GT, You Tube, guitar tabs, etc. otherwise I'll drive myself insane! Thx again.