Playing By Ear??

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
03/20/2012 6:34 pm
I've been taking lessons from an instructor for about the last 9 months. He basically taken me through scales, blues progressions (and some jazz) and now more recently we've been working on diatonic triads and he is trying to get me to learn to play by ear. This is exactly what I told I wanted - I didn't want to just learn chords shapes then head to You Tube to memorize songs (nothing wrong with that, I just want something different.

Here's the deal; it is so incredibly hard for me. I don't think I am getting it and I do practice very day (in my 40's with kids so it 30 minutes...maybe an hour+ some days but not 2,3 or 4 hrs) and really struggling. I actually told him this weekend I was throwing in the towel (I'd go the You Tube route and still play but go in a different direction than leaning theory, playing by ear etc)....not necessarily because that's what I want but that's all I felt I was capable of based on natural ability, patience and commitment (probably combo of all 3).

He got back to me and asked me to strongly reconsider and told me I do have "what it takes, that is is just a very difficult task that I am trying to learn" and he wouldn't say that if he didn't mean it. I tend to believe him in that he would put me through this just for my monthly lesson fee (he could probably replace me pretty quick).

So, the question how difficult is this, really? My guess is most of you experts will say "it depends on several factors", but I am just trying to get a sense of the degree of difficulty. If generally this shouldn't be that hard I think I need to rethink my approach and accept maybe I have limited ability. If on the other hand it really is generally that difficult of a task at least I know my hard work is not a waste of time and is just the price to invest to accomplish what I am saying I want to do.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/20/2012 9:38 pm
Of course playing by ear is hard. It takes a lot to get to the point to where you can play by ear.

As far as your teacher telling you that you have what it takes and you not believing that he would say that just to keep a student, well hate to break it to you, but most likely he definitely will. Losing a student is tough because you just lost a portion of your income. I'm not saying that he's lying, but just keep that in mind. It's not easy to just replace a student. If that were the case, why would he not be completely booked up with students every day?
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/20/2012 10:04 pm
There's playing by ear...and then there's playing by ear. ;)

Hearing a song and playing along with the chord progression is one level, IMO. Hearing notes/chords and identifying them is another level. Hearing a song and playing the lead or melody is yet another.

It never came to me naturally when I was a kid taking lessons. And although I knew about I - IV - V progressions I never 'heard' it in a song until two or three years after I stopped taking lessons and doing daily practice. Sitting in my college dorm room one afternoon, I 'heard' the progression in a record on the radio and that ah-ha moment allowed me to hear and play progressions for the rest of the time I played guitar (I have come back to guitar after a decades-long break). But my skill level is not up to playing melody/lead by ear...yet.

The breakthrough song? Interestingly it was already an oldie when I heard it that day -- "Shiela" by Tommy Roe. :D

I suspect with GT lessons and scale practice that the other level of playing by ear isn't too far down the road for me. After all, all it takes is technique and an 'ear.' Then again, I'm not experienced enough to know if I'm wrong. ;)

FYI, GT has some ear training resources and there's bunches on the 'net including iPhone/Touch/Pad apps.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/21/2012 1:27 am
Just curious, what's the end goal? What is "playing by ear" going to allow you to do that you can't do now. I think what Jon is saying is really relevant. You hear about some people, and people saying "that guy has a really good ear"... but that's probably just a combination of experience and natural talent. But if its a real battle for you, and it sounds like you're not enjoying it, is there really a good, clear reason why you're going after it?
# 4
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
03/21/2012 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardJust curious, what's the end goal? What is "playing by ear" going to allow you to do that you can't do now. I think what Jon is saying is really relevant. You hear about some people, and people saying "that guy has a really good ear"... but that's probably just a combination of experience and natural talent. But if its a real battle for you, and it sounds like you're not enjoying it, is there really a good, clear reason why you're going after it?

Great feedback everyone; appreciate it.

Slipin, great question. This all started because of direction I provided my teacher. I didn't want to just go to You Tube, watch a guy tell me "put your first finger on the 3rd fret, second, then put...." so I told my teacher I wanted to learn to play the guitar, know what I am doing etc. What I think I am starting to realize is there is a whole lot in between the two extremes. Perhaps obvious to some, but what did I know...think I've come to the realization that, for me, I want to continue down the path the teacher is taking me down but rely on some of the great tools out there like GT, You Tube, guitar tabs, etc. otherwise I'll drive myself insane! Thx again.
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
03/22/2012 5:35 am
Hope to help... I just didn't want you to beat yourself up too much. I saw an interview with Steve Vai that I really liked... what he said, believe it or not, he never worked on his weaknesses... only his strengths. At first, that just sounds stupid, because we all have to start with zero knowledge, and so we're weak in all areas of our "playing". But what he meant (he elaborated) was that he went straight for what came naturally... anything that fed the fire, that made him say "wow, that's cool, I want to play like that" and so his passion motivated him to go after it. It makes sense really, because no matter how good you get at one facet of guitar, someone can always find another, a "weakness" that you have that now you "should" work on... finally got your metal shredding down? Great, but how is your flamenco playing? It just never ends. So if you're going for the "playing by ear" thing to take the moral (and very commendable) higher ground in the hopes of just being a better player, go for it. But if it just not happening, don't let it take you away from other areas of the guitar that might interest you more. I put my lead playing on hold for a bit, because I really got into acoustic fingerpicking I was learning here. I really enjoyed it, and found I progressed way faster than I was with my scale stuff which honestly I was finding kind of dry. Hey its all for fun.. well, mostly!

Speaking of which, maybe you already do this, but just in case you don't, a suggestion is to get a beat box like a DR880 or just download backing tracks on-line. Then jam a long with them, making up your own guitar parts. If you're going to play lead, then try playing the solo "in your head" without even touching the guitar. Once you've got a melodic idea, work it out on the guitar without sweating what notes are what or what scale you're in. I think you'd find that a really fun and rewarding way to develop your ear, though I understand it wouldn't help much for being able to learn other peoples songs and chords by ear... I find that really tough too!
# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2012 3:58 pm
Hi Bonafan,

In many cases, the basics of playing by ear come down to an understanding of chord theory.

Have you checked out this tutorial here on GT?:

Basic Chord Theory for Guitar

Let me know your thoughts - have fun!
-Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/23/2012 10:47 am
You are probably just saturated. In my opinion, you might have reached the point where you need to be (right now) with theory. If you are not getting much practice time, you could pace the inflow of new information to give yourself time to absorb and apply it.

You really don't need to change direction; I don't even know what that means... Are you learning theory without songs to use it in? Don't get too caught up in the goals and just play.

I like the Steve Vai reference. Go with what is inspiring you. If that is learning theory, go for it. If you want to play, theory really has a second seat. One does not need to know how to build a car to drive one, or be a refrigeration tech to use an air conditioner, or be a programmer to use a computer....Right?

Do what's important to you and forget everyone else. Life is short, spend it wisely. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/23/2012 2:11 pm
I had the theory that if you can sing it (in key), you can play it. More to the point, get the chords to come out of your mouth. Play a chord and try to match the note vocally. I did this by singing the open string notes first (E, A, D, G, B, E)....I'd sing > EEEEEEEEEE, AAAAAAAAA ....and so on. Even if you're not a singer, and I'm certainly not, I feel it helps engrain the note in your psyche.

Maybe I'm crazy but it help stick the note in my noggin.
# 9
Peter Natens
Peter Natens
03/23/2012 6:39 pm
Hi
i hope this helps a little bit.
first of all you have to get a good guitar player and that doesn't mean palying songs directly. you have to have first your muscle memory.
This means by playing your scales over and over again, and i mean over and over agian until ti is getting boring , but indreclty your muslce memory will go int o your head , and when you hear a song or hear a lick at smome point , according to my opinion , you recognize some notes or chords, or maybe you are just below or up the note , but you will recognize it , and then after palying thousand times your scales over and over again, you muscle memory is so good , when you hear a chord in a A minor key f.i., you atomatically find a note upon your scale , and that is most of the time one of the root notes , and hey you are starting.
Hey believe me , i play now for 30 years , and that is the only approach . every note falls in a scale somewhere, but your muscle memory has to be good ! otherwise you will hear a song or a lick in your head, but your fingers don't know where to go
Good luck , believe me this is the only way
# 10
Stephen Quinn
Stephen Quinn
04/02/2012 11:25 am
Another method of ear training is to go through the scales and focus on singing the notes of the scale in perfect pitch. Start with just one scale and sing the notes as you play them. Gradually work on singing the notes whilst playing them less until you can sing the scales with only playing the root note at the beginning. Repeat the process with other keys.

This may not be the best method for everyone. Its essential to keep laying and practicing as you do, and eventually your ear will be able to identify simple chord changes and melodies over time, as well as the sound of a guitar in perfect standard tuning.
# 11
G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
04/19/2012 8:39 pm
Huh...that's what it's called. Playing by ear. I used to just listen to the song over and over again, a real pain with a manual turntable, and find some familiar notes, write down the words, put the notes by the word or above it and repeat until complete. Luckily rock, and country, and blues songs usually repeat every so often so I only needed to learn one verse, chorus, and sometimes an intro/outtro,they are usually pretty close to being the same,and a pre-chorus or bridge if it's a fancy song. Just kidding. However, It's always a good idea to write everything down. If you have the words you can organize what you've already pick up. It's good to know theory and you'll pick it up. sometimes without realizing it. Start simple like "Louie, Louie" by the Kingsmen (3 chords); as a mater of fact that 3 chord thing is in about 80% of all rock songs and country and blues songs.
# 12
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
04/21/2012 9:56 pm
I hope to throw my opinion in the hat. I am playing 45 plus years and I still think I suck, See as you progress you just want more of it and this leads to different levels of play. Its like money, you never have enough right.I would go with tunes you really dig, I would think they would come to you easier. Keep at it and just have fun and don't beat yourself up. If you can find some guys who play in the neighborhood this will help you big time. Gigging or playing with other musicians is the way to go and I really miss that. I am just a bed room guitar player now, but I still make it fun and now I can play what I want to instead of trying to learn new songs that you don't like. Bands will do this to you, you have to play stuff you don't like, but I guess thats what being a musician is all about, , plenty of knowledge here so you come to the right place. The instructors are alway polite and helpful, Usually in a day or two they will get back to you if you send them private messages. Some times the guys are out on the road so you have to expect that, Just be cool and enjoy,Good luck my friend, Pete
For What It's Worth
# 13
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2012 2:29 am
Originally Posted by: john of MTSitting in my college dorm room one afternoon, I 'heard' the progression in a record on the radio and that ah-ha moment allowed me to hear and play progressions for the rest of the time I played guitar (I have come back to guitar after a decades-long break). But my skill level is not up to playing melody/lead by ear...yet.

I really agree with this statement. Think of having the ability to hear something and play it back as taking the same amount of work as anything else you have learned. Scales, chords, triads; none of those things just made sense right away. It took time for that information to digest, and making that connection between what you hear and what you play is no different. Apply the same patience to your new obstacle :)

For me that "a-ha" moment came when playing along to Metallica albums as a kid. I would spend weekends jamming in my room, and after learning "Enter Sandman" from a friend I was hooked. I spent nearly a whole weekend trying to figure out "The Four Horseman." Once I did, I found that I was able to play several songs off of that same album (Kill Em All.) Sure, the songs all had similar traits but I was playing by ear! Finally! From there I couldn't get enough and I just kept developing that skill by learning songs I liked, and today I still do that all the time.

You don't want to depend on that "a-ha" moment to just arrive, you want to work at it. But it will, and once it does; be ready to explore a whole new world of your playing. Don't give up just yet. Stick with the lessons, and I look forward to knowing when that moment happens. It will. :D

Also, there has been a lot of mention about singing what you play. That will help tremendously as well. Remember; anything you can hum, you can play.
Douglas Showalter
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.