Hello GT guitarists!!

charlie9567
charlie9567
03/16/2012 7:43 am
Hi peeps! Another Brit joining the show. Just spent a year in Phoenix, AZ. Cave Creek if anyone knows it!! Came away with a huge Country music bug... Hence here I am. I know a few chords but just can't get the hang of the "F" chord, with or without a barre...!!! Is there any dedicated lessons to the F chord?
I know its practice practice practice!! Loving everything from Johnny Cash to Lady Antebellum... Bring it on!!! Keep in touch...
# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
03/16/2012 12:00 pm
Hey Charlie,

Welcome from a fellow Brit to the GT community. ;)

The best place to begin mastering basic chord groups would be Guitar Fundamentals 1.

Chapter 5, I believe, covers the F chord specifically.

Johnny Cash is definitely old-skool! Jerry Lee Lewis and Great Balls of Fire is one of my favourites from that era! Great taste in music.

Good luck and welcome aboard!! :)

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
John825
ForeverInBloom
John825
ForeverInBloom
03/17/2012 5:01 am
If it's a little tedious to learn the F chord, maybe you can learn the triad version and the non-barre version I use when I tune up. If you don't know how to read it, the x's represent muted strings. I'm not too sure if you understand how to read this, but if you don't I apologize. The E on the bottom (the one with the 1 on it on the second example) is the thickest string, the one closes to you and it descends from there. The number indicates the "space" in which you will place your finger. If this is confusing, I apologize.

1)

E -x
B -1
G -2
D -3
A -x
E -x

2)

E - x
B - x
G - 2
D - 3
A - 3
E - 1

3)

E -x
B -1
G -2
D -3
A -3
E -x

^^^This last one is an F chord with a C bass note, but it's helpful to learn since it contains the same notes as an F chord, it just contains a C as the bass note.

Then just practice the barre F chord slowly and at your own pace.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.