20 years playing casual guitar--I don't know where to start

bvarbel
bvarbel
03/13/2012 11:54 pm
I self taught myself to play guitar 20 years ago. I never played and a band, and I never jammed with anyone really. My interest has been mostly to learn songs I like and kind of fake it while singing.

I took 10 lessons in NYC several years ago. That actually pushed me a little further because I started learning some finger picking and more advanced rhythm styles.

I play acoustic, but this year picked up a little Fender Strat beginner electric kit.
This seemed to shake things up and both my electric and accoustic playing are improving...I'm having more fun and learning more songs.

My question is this: I have some skills--more than how to use a pick or strum rhythms, play many common chords, but I'm not very sophisticated. I really don't care about music theory. I just want to jam, have a good time, and get better with techniques that help me learn the songs I love.

Where do I start--how to hold a pick or guitar so that I don't miss a thing, or can I start somewhere that is a little more organically connected to what I want to do and the experience I want to get out of this.

I feel overwhelmed, its my first day. The layout is pretty, but too many trees of information. Also what about a study plan. I'm looking at putting in an hour or two a day. How do I pick my material, how long do I stay on it--in NYC I got new assignments each week and pressed forward while still working on old stuff. At points it got overwhelming, but it pushed me to get better faster than if I just lollygagged on the same material till it was perfected. As the new, more complicated material was introduced, the old lessons felt easier. What is the school of thought for this on this site?
# 1
string_thumper856
string_thumper856
03/14/2012 1:45 am
Hey bvarbel
I was pretty much in your same shoes a couple years back and know exactly what you are talking about, "where to start". Ill tell you what really helped me and honestly im far more advanced than I used to be. I started with guitar theory and then the caged system. From there I worked my way up to a few scales. Although I kind of get stuck in a boring stage I am still more advanced than I used to be by starting there. Guitar theory and the CAGED system actually helped me to figure out where to start. Im rather new to this site but ive been here a few years back. Good luck.
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/14/2012 1:47 am
I am just about to head out for the night, so please excuse the brief response to a load of questions. From your description, I'd recommend core learning system blues level 1 and 2. You'll learn quite a few things you might not know, and have some fun.

I think blues level 1 will be easy for you, but there is enough information in there to be interesting even when it is easy. By the time you get to blues level 2, you will be working hard, and having a blast.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
uhhuh35
uhhuh35
03/14/2012 2:46 am
I've been playing casually for 30+ years and I started at Core Learning System and went through everything. Yeah, there's a lot we know but there's a lot of basic stuff we've been missing too!
# 4
bvarbel
bvarbel
03/14/2012 10:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickI am just about to head out for the night, so please excuse the brief response to a load of questions. From your description, I'd recommend core learning system blues level 1 and 2. You'll learn quite a few things you might not know, and have some fun.

I think blues level 1 will be easy for you, but there is enough information in there to be interesting even when it is easy. By the time you get to blues level 2, you will be working hard, and having a blast.

Excellent. I looked at a few of the blues lessons...This does really interest me. Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment.

B
# 5
steve62311
Full Access
steve62311
Full Access
03/20/2012 3:37 am
Having trouble picking up on the hammer on pull off methods. Im in a rut with not understanding how the fingering works and getting the correct timing from hammer on to my most difficult to get pull offs. I cant get the same volume or speed on the fingers working a basic penatonic scale, pull offs especially feel wrong so I resort to alternate picking and Im stuck there. Any advice to help me figure this out? thanks.
# 6
Briano1
Briano1
03/20/2012 3:26 pm
This is great. I thought I was the only one who has been playing casually the last couple of decades and didnt' take any lessons until now. Gutartricks is a great place to take lessons. I'm more serious about playing than anytime in my life. Have raised 3 kids and now taking more time for myself. Just bought a Gibson LP this passed weekend. Lovin it. On level 2 of the blues core and learning much. At my age I just wish I had started much longer ago. But oh well, better late....
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.