View post (Multiple learning sources?)

View thread

Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
02/17/2012 4:10 pm
Hey matonanjin,

Ah, I see what you mean specifically. You're wanting to make sure you don't go down the wrong path at the beginning.

The good news is you're going to be OK -- nothing is going to make or break you. As long as you use your intuition, common sense, and look at what you see the most people doing. Then make your own decision on what's easiest for you to get results and move forward.

It's really good to ask about the REASONS behind playing a chord a certain way. In the example you mentioned, you'll be totally fine playing a G chord with index on 2nd fret of A string, etc. That's the way 99% of people play it. The "Arlen Roth" (?) way you listed will definitely be more difficult for you, because your pinky is your weakest finger! You'll be better off getting the satisfaction of playing a G chord the popular way. And besides, someday you can just learn the more difficult fingering when your fingers are stronger. To be honest, I've been playing for over 20 years, have recorded many albums, and have never used that more difficult pinky fingering in my life.

The fingering I use is this: Middle finger on 3rd fret of low E. Index on 2nd fret of A. Ring finger on 3rd fret of B. Pinky on 3rd fret of high E. It helps me to reinforce my pinky with my ring finger gripping the B string, rather than just having the pinky out there by itself. And a D note is in the G chord, so it's totally legit.

The 3rd fingering you mention (muting the A string) is more of a "rock" AC/DC fingering that people use because it sounds cleaner with distortion. But that's something you can learn later. By the time your fingers are stronger, you can start experimenting with all of these and finding the one you like most.

So to sum all of this up, I'd rather see a beginner conquer a basic chord and move on to new things, rather than get stuck and discouraged. Keep the goals challenging but achievable.

PLEASE keep asking these sorts of good questions as you develop, because it shows you are paying attention and curious. I was the same way when I started! It drove my teachers crazy. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer