Multiple learning sources?

matonanjin
matonanjin
02/16/2012 4:41 pm
What does every one think about learning from multiple sources? Somewhere I found a link (lost it) that listed something to the effect "10 (or 12 or some number) mistakes that most beginning guitar students make". One of them is learning from more than one instructor or source.

To me it seems intuitive to get multiple perspective on subjects as one progresses.

I am:
1) Going through the lessons on this site.
2) I purchased the Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar DVD set and have started it.
3) I just found out about Justin Sandercoe's free lessons site: http://justinguitar.com/ This looks very good and I am going to pursue it.
4) I have taken 3 private lessons and may or may not continue on occasion. I probably will if and when I run into a particular issue where person to person "hands-on" type help may be required.

Am I just going to confuse myself? I just can't buy into multiple input or direction being a negative.

Thoughts?

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
02/16/2012 5:00 pm
Throughout your life, you'll continue to learn from multiple sources. Even the masters of guitar continue to learn -- an example is that Steve Vai spent time studying Bulgarian Wedding music and it had a big influence on his current technique. I'm sure that when he was 19 years old he would have never thought he'd be influenced by Bulgarian Wedding music.

One of the great things about GuitarTricks is that there are thousands of videos taught by over 40 instructors from around the world. Even though there is a certain underlying structure to the lessons, the instructors (who come from all different backgrounds) all emphasize different elements of thinking and playing and teaching. They all bring something unique to the site and each share their own professional and artistic experience.

And the truth is, you'll never stop learning! So yes, learn from any source available! And be sure to use GuitarTricks to its maximum (explore all the different styles and teachers), because we're going to keep teaching for as long as you want to keep learning!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
JJ90
JJ90
02/16/2012 5:55 pm
All the information and possibilities can be overwhelming for sure! Currently I am using Justin Sandercoe's website as well! I think Justin is one of the best, if not the best guitar instructor on the web. I have purchased several of his products with full satisfactory as well, next to donating from time to time.

Next to that I also am subscribed to Jamplay (yeah I know, Guitartricks main competitor, but I really love that website, digging into more advanced stuff, and brilliantly organized in my opinion).

Lastly I also use LickLibrary DVD's to help me learn specific things or some awesome songs. Danny Gill and Michael Caswell are two of my favorite LL instructors which really have helped me develop me more.

I think everyone could use several learning sources, just as long as you keep focusing at a few things at the same time. Otherwise it won't work ofcourse!

JJ
# 3
matonanjin
matonanjin
02/16/2012 8:55 pm
Carl,

Thanks for the response. And certainly I realize that we are all going to continue learning from various sources and have different influences as we mature in our guitar playing. I should have been more specific in my question and that was my fault.

My question is in the very beginning is it beneficial or detrimental to learn from more than one source?

Perhaps using me and a recent post of mine (http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36157) as an example would demonstrate my question.

Everyone that I have seen, including the instructors on here, teach playing G major 1st finger on A string fret 2, 2nd finger E string fret 3 and 3rd finger high E Fret 3. Except a guy, Arlon Roth (I think) on the Gibson.com site says that is wrong; one should the 2nd, ring and pinky finger to play it.

Intuitively, I think it is good that I see another and possibly better way to play this chord. But I can't play it yet. It is too difficult to play it that way and it is frustrating me.

So by using an additional source I have learned something that I wouldn't have with just one source. But it is frustrating me.

Would I have been better off going along in my ignorant bliss?

I hope I am posing this question better.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 4
matonanjin
matonanjin
02/16/2012 9:00 pm
JJ90,

Thanks again for even more links (You gave me the Justin Sandercoe link). Now I will get even more confused!!!!!!!! LOL

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/17/2012 2:41 am
GT is my primary instruction and I'm folowing the Core Learning System but my practice sessions cover more than whatever GT lesson I'm currently doing. Likewise, my learning sources are more than GT -- I find help and instruction from other sources and the above mentioned Justin Guitar is my favorite 'other' online source. When I'm trying to get a better understanding of a subject, e.g., guitar theory, CAGED system, etc., I rely on YouTube, books, GT tutorials outside the Core Learning track, and even iTunes podcasts. Google search has turned up even more when I've been been pursuing a particular subject.

This doesn't demean GT...these are supplemental info sources just like school courses that use more than one textbook or outside readings.

If ya' need help or info, find it where you can but it'd probably be best to folow only one or two 'courses' at a time. IMO.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
02/17/2012 2:10 pm
Using multiple sources isnt bad. Its pretty good actually to have the ideas and thaughts of other instructors.
Offcourse you have to be open minded and realise that everyone has a different background in life and music and that might change the way they play a chord or a scale.
And thats the beauty of it. You will learn a way to play something here and think, hmmm I find it hard that way. Then you go to another instructor, school or website and someone teaches you the same thing but in a different way wich make it a lot easier for you.

I also use lick library, they got some pretty cool dvds there.
I will add one name to the equation :P
If you are into country, take a look at Doug Seven's dvds on coutry...and some jazz. http://sizzlingguitarlicks.com/
Very good and he teaches it well.
# 7
Carl King
Carl King
02/17/2012 4:10 pm
Hey matonanjin,

Ah, I see what you mean specifically. You're wanting to make sure you don't go down the wrong path at the beginning.

The good news is you're going to be OK -- nothing is going to make or break you. As long as you use your intuition, common sense, and look at what you see the most people doing. Then make your own decision on what's easiest for you to get results and move forward.

It's really good to ask about the REASONS behind playing a chord a certain way. In the example you mentioned, you'll be totally fine playing a G chord with index on 2nd fret of A string, etc. That's the way 99% of people play it. The "Arlen Roth" (?) way you listed will definitely be more difficult for you, because your pinky is your weakest finger! You'll be better off getting the satisfaction of playing a G chord the popular way. And besides, someday you can just learn the more difficult fingering when your fingers are stronger. To be honest, I've been playing for over 20 years, have recorded many albums, and have never used that more difficult pinky fingering in my life.

The fingering I use is this: Middle finger on 3rd fret of low E. Index on 2nd fret of A. Ring finger on 3rd fret of B. Pinky on 3rd fret of high E. It helps me to reinforce my pinky with my ring finger gripping the B string, rather than just having the pinky out there by itself. And a D note is in the G chord, so it's totally legit.

The 3rd fingering you mention (muting the A string) is more of a "rock" AC/DC fingering that people use because it sounds cleaner with distortion. But that's something you can learn later. By the time your fingers are stronger, you can start experimenting with all of these and finding the one you like most.

So to sum all of this up, I'd rather see a beginner conquer a basic chord and move on to new things, rather than get stuck and discouraged. Keep the goals challenging but achievable.

PLEASE keep asking these sorts of good questions as you develop, because it shows you are paying attention and curious. I was the same way when I started! It drove my teachers crazy. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.