View post (Multiple learning sources?)

View thread

matonanjin
matonanjin
02/16/2012 8:55 pm
Carl,

Thanks for the response. And certainly I realize that we are all going to continue learning from various sources and have different influences as we mature in our guitar playing. I should have been more specific in my question and that was my fault.

My question is in the very beginning is it beneficial or detrimental to learn from more than one source?

Perhaps using me and a recent post of mine (http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36157) as an example would demonstrate my question.

Everyone that I have seen, including the instructors on here, teach playing G major 1st finger on A string fret 2, 2nd finger E string fret 3 and 3rd finger high E Fret 3. Except a guy, Arlon Roth (I think) on the Gibson.com site says that is wrong; one should the 2nd, ring and pinky finger to play it.

Intuitively, I think it is good that I see another and possibly better way to play this chord. But I can't play it yet. It is too difficult to play it that way and it is frustrating me.

So by using an additional source I have learned something that I wouldn't have with just one source. But it is frustrating me.

Would I have been better off going along in my ignorant bliss?

I hope I am posing this question better.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.